Crank Position Sensor Swap From Microsquirt to MS3

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

fj1289
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Crank Position Sensor Swap From Microsquirt to MS3

Post by fj1289 »

I have a Yamaha FJ1100 running on Microsquirt. I am converting it to MS3 base on a V3.0 board. It uses a stock Yamaha trigger wheel and pickup from the fuel injected Yamaha XJR1300. While running Microsquirt, I had to add a resistor across the two wires from the pickup to allow the engine to rev above 5000 rpm.

With the conversion to MS3, do I remove the resistor? If I have a similar issue, would I add the resistor in line with the + signal instead of across both wires?

Thanks!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Crank Position Sensor Swap From Microsquirt to MS3

Post by billr »

This is a VR sensor? I would try it first with no resistor. If a resistor needs to be added it goes inline (series) with the + wire (pin 24 on the V3.0); not between the two wires (parallel). As always, it would help to...
:msq:
fj1289
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fj1289 »

Thanks billr. Yes, it is a VR sensor -- I'll try first with no resistor.

I'm just now at the laying out wire runs stage for the MS3 harness - no where close to even generating a datalog yet! It ran great on Microsquirt - just wanting to make use of some of the advantages of the advances made with MS3.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Wow, you have it running on the Micro with no MSQ? How clever!

I'm teasing you a bit, of course, you were thinking I was asking for the MSQ you intended to run on the MS3. Point is, though, that even the MSQ for that Micro can save asking a lot of questions. It would tell what trigger mode you are going to use, how many CKP teeth, a hint at max rpm, things like that. You probably don't need more help just yet, so really no immediate need for further info from you; but I wanted to get you in the habit of posting the MSQ/MSL...
fj1289
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fj1289 »

Good points! I'll dig out the laptop this weekend and post up.