MS3x BMW M50NV no start - fuel pump?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

NEOe30
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3x BMW M50NV no start - fuel pump?

Post by NEOe30 »

Hi all,
I have read the ms startup guide and gotten all the way to the end aaaaannnd no start :(

I have MS3x V3.57

A few steps that I noticed along the way were

- My tps is not synced, and wont read tps signal even when i use the sync feature. I dont think this is important to start up, or tuning in general since i am going speed density.

- My coolant temp sensor is not calibrated correctly, reading 180*F when the engine is cold. I know the sensor is good.

-My fuel pump will not prime. I am unsure why, and almost positive that this is the issue. I can confirm that purple wire 37 labeled "fuel pump" is connected to my fuel pump relay.

I am unsure of where to check next. Any help is appreciated.
NEOe30
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3x BMW M50NV no start - fuel pump?

Post by NEOe30 »

MSQ files and Log here
NEOe30
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by NEOe30 »

Update: fuel pump primes, still no start.

Thanks for the help Grom_e30
NEOe30
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by NEOe30 »

New Log
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

You are getting stable RPM, that's good. The datalog shows a PW is commanded too.

Have you used the test mode to check your coils and injectors work?

Check your plugs, are they wet or dry? The engine could be flooded with that large pulsewidth.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
NEOe30
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by NEOe30 »

jsmcortina wrote:You are getting stable RPM, that's good. The datalog shows a PW is commanded too.

Have you used the test mode to check your coils and injectors work?

Check your plugs, are they wet or dry? The engine could be flooded with that large pulsewidth.

James
Just tested these a few hours ago thanks to grom_e30 and we have determined that I will need the BIP drivers or upgrade to LS coils. The injectors were pulsing but no spark. Other than this the car should start. Now just to figure out those pesky sensors...
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Hvae you got a Stim or Jimstim? That will show if the CTS input etc is working correctly. If it does work on that, chances are you have a wiring or sensor fault, or not calibrated in software. A good check is both CTS and ATS should read ambient temperature on TS with a cold engine.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
NEOe30
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by NEOe30 »

Coolant and Tps sensors fixed, installing coil drivers this evening and will update
NEOe30
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by NEOe30 »

So now that I've got spark, fuel, and (almost) everything else needed to run, I go to turn the key and she chokes but wont fire. I feel like I'm missing something simple. Can anyone take a look at this datalog for me?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Your MAP is dropping quite low, even with the slow cranking from having a low battery. Open the throttle stop position some.
NEOe30
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by NEOe30 »

Car starts, idle is decent. Looking for opinions on my maps before I begin to run VE autotune, also, which wire do I need to get an AFR signal from my aem uego to my ms?

heres my msq and a datalog
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Zero for injector dead-time??? That is pretty unlikely. Flow those injectors for rate and dead-time before putting a lot of effort into tuning. The VE table looks way too rich, probably because the DT is bogus.

PS: Spark and dwell times are higher than I'm used to seeing.
NEOe30
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by NEOe30 »

billr wrote:Zero for injector dead-time??? That is pretty unlikely. Flow those injectors for rate and dead-time before putting a lot of effort into tuning. The VE table looks way too rich, probably because the DT is bogus.

PS: Spark and dwell times are higher than I'm used to seeing.

Thanks for the insight, I'll make some adjustments. What would you reccomend for the dead-time? T As for spark and dwell, im running LS2 coils, are these setting still off?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

4.5 or so ms for cranking, 3.5ish for nominal and 0.7-1 for duration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgi8l-2XG4 shows how you can flow test your injectors for dead time
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

If you want to keep playing with the engine before flowing for DT, enter .8 msec for that. It will be a whole lot closer than 0... but your short "reqfuel" value cries for accurate flow and DT numbers.
NEOe30
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by NEOe30 »

grom_e30 wrote:4.5 or so ms for cranking, 3.5ish for nominal and 0.7-1 for duration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgi8l-2XG4 shows how you can flow test your injectors for dead time
billr wrote:If you want to keep playing with the engine before flowing for DT, enter .8 msec for that. It will be a whole lot closer than 0... but your short "reqfuel" value cries for accurate flow and DT numbers.
Found this wonderful site to set my dead time, I have Siemens Deka 60lb injectors. Dead time should be .64-.38, or .5 at a perfect 12v. Should work well?

http://injector-rehab.com/shop/lag.html