Relay Board question

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Relay Board question

Post by billr »

I'm going to help another member (targa44) tomorrow. He has an MS3X on V3.0, and the Relay board (RB). I have heard before that the Relay board isn't well-suited for use with MS3, but never paid much attention because I don't have one. In preparation for tomorrow I'm looking at the RB schematic (V1.2 dated May 1,2002) and see there are a number of differences in the DB37 pinout. I'm going to use that RB schematic as my "Rosetta stone" to mate his engine connections to the RB (has a good schematic of that) with the proper pins on the MS3 and MS3X DB37 connectors. Is that RB schematic V1.2 the proper one to use???
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Relay Board question

Post by Dennis930 »

Bill,

I have a Relay Board that I used when I had MS2. The schematic I have is V1.2. I did not see any differences in the pin outs that match up to the MS V3.0 or V3.57 board connector. Some of the pinfunction names may have changed. Targa's relay board has been modified so it will be interesting to see what has been done.
Porsche 930 3.0 Slantnose
MS3/MS3X Sequential Injection & Spark, MS Knock, Dual plug, LS2 coils, Siemens 55 lb/hr HiZ injectors, ALM-ADV Wide Band,
Carrera Intake, Extrude honed, Ford 70mm Throttlebody, GTX3071R Turbo
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I'm looking at pins 3 to about 7 or 9. On the MS3 those are used for things like the IAC and "spares". On the RB I see all from 1-19 being tied to ground. Yeah, it will be interesting...
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

billr wrote:I'm looking at pins 3 to about 7 or 9. On the MS3 those are used for things like the IAC and "spares". On the RB I see all from 1-19 being tied to ground. Yeah, it will be interesting...
That's compatible with the V2.2 MS board not the V3.0. One more reason to not use the relay board but I don't think that's what you want to hear. Sorry I don't have anything constructive to add.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

If I were forced to use the relay board with a later MS, I'd make up a new loom between them. With just the power stuff. Everything else I'd run direct. If the existing loom doesn't have the correct links to a later MS, you might as well just do things correctly.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Let's abandon this thread. I now know why the relay board isn't ideal for use with MS3, but it was already in place for this install, and a rather neat install, too. It is adequate for this install, at least as it exists now. I'm sure the guy I was helping will refresh the thread pertaining to his actual project. We both look forward to your comment there...
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I have MS2 with MS3X expansion and relay board. No issues. Extra wire loom for the MS3 expansion card and the additional features. Rest remains on the relay board, like grounds, power, iac and all the rest.