RPM Not Synced on Audi/VW 1.8T

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

alexands
MS/Extra Newbie

RPM Not Synced on Audi/VW 1.8T

Post by alexands »

Hi guys,

This is a brand new project on a 1.8T engine. It's not in a regular car. Right now it's just standalone so don't have all of the car stuff with it. About as barebones of an MS install as you can get. Just got it wired up and it starts but only stays in the "start up" mode and never goes to the full "run" mode. Getting an error saying the RPM is not synced. It's an MS3/Extra with full sequential fire and spark. It starts and the RPM's bounce around for about 30 seconds and then dies. I've tried to blip the throttle and that kills it as well. I've attached the tune and a log file. Everything is stock and has an Innovative LC2.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: RPM Not Synced on Audi/VW 1.8T

Post by grom_e30 »

your cranking rpm is set at 1000 so the engine needs to go over 1000rpm before the ecu detects the engine is actually running set it a few hundred rpm over your cranking speed say 600ish rpm.

the main issue is your rpm signal is dropping out though. can you take a tooth log and post it up, this will show the signal from the crank sensor
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
micotito
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by micotito »

Also if your cam sensor is the stock one you should use Second trigger Active on "Poll level", Level for phase 1 Low Check at tooth #1

With standard VR sensor Ignition Capture should be Rising Edge, try inverting cables at VR sensor, I'm using led sparks and with sparks output Going low with stock cops. But you should confirm what you got with MS3X but think is the same when you go low you have 5v on output, if that is correct you also have output inverted on your coils, that will burn your coils.
alexands
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by alexands »

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I messed around a bit more today and tried some of your advice;

1. Set cranking RPM to 600
2. Looked at the second trigger and set to Poll. I took off the cam sensor cover and understand why you made that suggestion as it's not a toothed wheel, but instead 4 tabs. Keeping the crank set to rising edge and the motor won't start. It only seems to get some fire when both are rising edge.
3. I set the coils to going low just to see if it made a difference....big mistake. It appears to have fried them. It's OK as they are old and were going to replaced so don't mind sacrificing them in the name of science. Got some new ones on the way.
4. Tried to get some logs of trigger, tooth, and composite but couldn't get the engine started to actually write the files.

Going to take a look at the cam sensor wiring tomorrow as I'm thinking it may be backwards. Once I can get it to idle again I will post up some log files.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
BlackBird_SR71
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BlackBird_SR71 »

1.8T engines have two types of Cam Trigger Wheels . A 4 window Trigger Wheel on later models. and a 1 window Trigger on the AEB models. Swap in an AEB cam Trigger wheel and it should Synch up. Both styles are Hall sensors.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The 4 tooth version can work too, but you have to get the right tooth on Poll Level.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

1. Set cranking speed to 300-400 rpm MAX.
2. Dual wheel with missing tooth 60-2 #1 tooth angle 78 *. Poll level cam. Crank is VR and will need a 10K resistor inline on an V3.57 board or a 10K shunt on a Pro. V3.0 boards need nothing. Cam is hall effect with an open collector.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
alexands
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by alexands »

Thanks for all of the input. I discovered that my plugs were wired out of sync so I fixed that and things are a little better, but still not catching and going into run mode. Just sputters in startup mode. I've tried the various suggestions but nothing seems to fix it. I've put a timing light on it and it seems to be pretty close, but still drop out. It's as if the cam signal is not consistent.

I'll attach the tune file in the next post since AI can only attach 3 files.

Again, all responses and help is appreciated.
alexands
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by alexands »

Here's the tune
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

It's the crank signal that's the problem think you need to adjust the pots
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

OK, the tooth-log is already here. It doesn't look good. What kind of CKP sensor do you have and how are the pots for it set? Set this for "wasted COP" for now so we can ignore any CMP issues until the CKP is under control.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

A stock 1.8T sold in North America has a shielded (3 wire) VR crank sensor and an open collector Hall effect cam sensor. Full CCW on the pots for a V3.0 or 3.57 board is what has worked for me on a dozen or more 1.8T, ABA, AEG and VR6 installs. They all use the same 60-2 VR CKP
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!