First Start

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: First Start

Post by MegaMicra »

Ah I see. So me setting it completely anticlockwise as in the build manual might have it too low. Every day is a schoolday eh. Thanks Peter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

MegaMicra wrote:Ah I see. So me setting it completely anticlockwise as in the build manual might have it too low. Every day is a schoolday eh. Thanks Peter.

Normally that works. Depends on the sensor and it's output

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

I see that in the manual it says some sensors may need a 10k resistor in line. Or is this just if you have sync issues at high rpm.

Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

True, but less of an issue with 3.0 boards

Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

So I'm taking my time to try and learn about the megalogviewer data. I now see what you mean with regards sync loss. As it gets up to 700ish rpm it loses sync and drops to 0 thus giving me the hunting.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

So i took out me Megasquirt and adjusted the R56 by 3 turns. This had no effect unfortunately. I did notice that i had a jumper across JP7 so i took that off and the car started. It still had sync loss, but above about 1200rpm it runs great. It still wont idle and loses sync below or around this rpm. I feel im quite close to getting it running properly now. Once it starts ( which is still very hit and miss) and gets above that initial 1200/1300 rpm it revs freely and everything seems to work perfectly. I know you must think what on earth is he doing putting this on 2001 Nissan Micra. Thanks guys for taking the time to look into it.
I would have attached a log but it says its too large unfortunately. Ill try and get a smaller one tomorrow.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Most of the MS logs can zip up to a far smaller size. Then post the *.zip file
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Thanks for that info about zip files. I'll do that and post it.

ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

if the potentiometers are installed backwards they will adjust backwards as well(did this once). it might be worthwhile turning fully clockwise once
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Im pretty sure fitted correctly. I will check though to make sure when I get home. I did turn R56 clockwise a turn at a time, and from about four turns it doesn't see the VR crank sensor signal so I think theyre correct.
Heres my zipped datalog from today when it actually ran. Sorry its really messy when you open it, I was so astounded that the car ran that I forgot all about recording properly. Like I said previously, above 1200ish rpm, if the car starts it runs lovely. I could see all my sensors were working well. I just don't understand that when cranking the composite log looks great with no errors and then as soon as it fires and tries to run it loses sync until above 1200ish.
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

So I've had another look over the original wiring in the car and im going to redo Nissans wire from the crankshaft VR sensor. I noticed it's shielding is grounded at both ends, there is about 8in of unshielded wire where it connects to the sensor, and to top it all off it runs along the engine loom with the coilpack wires. Non of this can be helping I'm sure.
Chip in guys if you can think of anything else I can be looking at.

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Do you have a composite log of the loss of sync? The ZIP file had a regular data log but no composite log.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Hi Matt, no I've not got a log of that. I'll try and get one tomorrow as I'm at work at the moment.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Heres a few tooth logs and composite logs i did changing the ignition capture settings from rising to falling to see what the differnce is. I set the ignition options to Log Crank & Cam. Im still unsure how to interpret them yet, as im still learning. I dont know how to tell what my crank and cam triggers should be ie, rising or falling. Thanks for taking the time to look. Regards Jon.
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Had to add this extra log separately as i could only upload 3 per post.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

falling edge is the one you want!

Edit: see the second longer tooth is gone in that log
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Thanks for that info. I did think that might be the case after reading in the manual.
I've set it to falling edge for the crank sensor.
Now, with regards the second input trigger from the cam; how do you work out if that is rising or falling edge?

grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

i would try falling edge for the cam to as the rising edge happens on the tooth before the missing gap. where as the falling edge is at about the 19 tooth after the gap.

this may put your engine on the wrong phase like the dizzy being 180 out if this is the case add 360 to the tooth #1 angle
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

grom_e30 wrote:i would try falling edge for the cam to as the rising edge happens on the tooth before the missing gap. where as the falling edge is at about the 19 tooth after the gap.

this may put your engine on the wrong phase like the dizzy being 180 out if this is the case add 360 to the tooth #1 angle
You'll know if you're 360 out!

Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

I have now set the crank to falling edge and can now get the car to start most attempts which I'm really pleased with.

I keep forgetting to ask whether or not I should have a jumper or not on jp7. I don't know what type of hall effect cam sensor I have.
Here is the Bosch PtNo: 0 232 103 (045 or 033). Some of you guys may have come across it as it's fitted to a few different cars.
Ive managed to get a few more logs to go over later, and I'll post them up on here.
Thanks again for your help guys as I seem to be getting tantalisingly close to a running car, ready to take to the tuners. I do appreciate it.

Last edited by MegaMicra on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.