First Start

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: First Start

Post by grom_e30 »

remove the jumper and see if the cam signal goes mia. or measure the output voltage of the sensor without the pull up if you measure 5v when no metal is in front of the sensor that drops to 0v when metal is close you don't need the pull up
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

I don't have the jumper fitted at the moment so it's obviously working. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's fitted or not, very odd. I've got a spare one I'll bench test tomorrow to see what readings I get. I seem to remember when I put 12v across it and measure the output it slowly climbs to 4 point something volts, then drops away, then starts to climb again. It also drops to zero if I put metal near it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

So on further investigation, I've found out it is most likely an 'open collector' type sensor that will require the pull up to work correctly.
It had a Honeywell pt no on its face which when Googled stated it was this type that Bosch used.
I'm learning so much, it's very rewarding.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

After being able to start the car more often than not thanks to you guys, ive done some more logs. Let me know if you can glean any info with regards it not idling below 1200ish rpm then conking out. Jon
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the logs look good. did you fit the pull up in the end?

where are the pots set now? do you have a recent data log of it conking out taken since you have got more reliable starting
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

The pots R56 & R52 are back to stock as per the manual. I will be investigating the cam sensor on the bench to once and for all see if it requires the pull up. I'll do a datalog when I get chance.
I work nights so unfortunately I'm always out of sync with all you guys time wise.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

So I've bench tested the spare cam sensor I had. I put a 1k resistor across the 12v input and signal output. It then sits at 12v till I put something steel in front of it; then it drops to almost 0v. Therefore I'll put the jumper across jp7 for the pull up.
I'll not get chance to work on it till tomorrow. I'll then get a datalog.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

I've also had a DOH! moment and realised that the pwm iacv is set to 2% when the engine is warm. When I tested it on the bench using my jimstim I noticed it doesn't even start to open till 33%. Therefore if I take my foot off the accelerator it couldn't possibly keep running as the throttle will be fully closed.
I think I should take a look at the iacv graph and tweak it. It's thanks to you guys though, telling me to datalog everything that I noticed it.
What a plonker I am.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

What I think I'll do is fire up the car with the original Nissan ECU and measure the amount that the iacv opens at different temperatures. I should be able to recreate this coolant temp/iacv % in TunerStudio then shouldn't I.

grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

you could do, or make a guestimation and then adjust the table as the engine is warming up
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

grom_e30 wrote:you could do, or make a guestimation and then adjust the table as the engine is warming up
^ This

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Ok. Sounds like a plan. I'll do that guys. Thanks.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Thought I better sort the radiator fan control out, so that I can keep the car running longer without it getting too hot. Blooming Nissan have put a permanent live feed to the fan relay coil so when I turn off the ignition key off the Megasquirt stays on. I'll add another relay for now to cut the feed to the fan relay I think. Just as you think you're getting there, something else crops up to scupper my plans.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

You must all think I'm mad doing all this to a tiny 1.4 with 84hp at the crank, especially when you guys have probably got 6 litre drag/race cars. Lol.

grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

988cc bike engine here
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

grom_e30 wrote:988cc bike engine here
That's great. I thought bikes were highly tuned anyway. How come you Megasquirt those? I bet you've got a bit more horsepower than me though. Lol.

grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

maybe 150hp or so, bike was originally a 600cc carb setup but now its got a 1000cc from a newer bike with a microsquirt in charge
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

It's a shame there's not more bike engine in car conversions about. I bet they'd be ok in small cars like mine. Maybe there's not enough torque from them, hmmm. I don't know much about bikes.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Well that's it for a week or so as I'm away. I'll resume, and update you guys when I get back. Thanks again for your help.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

So back at it again. This time I'm putting a relay in to stop the radiator fan backfeeding 12v into the Megasquirt and keeping it on when I turn off the ignition key.
Decided to check out all the ground point resistances after reading about ppl having issues with them. They're all 0.1ohms or so, so they should be good for now.