First Start

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: First Start

Post by MegaMicra »

Even though I've been using the original O2 sensor I thought I better get a wideband one so that I can see what is actually happening with regards the fueling. My oem one is situated in the exhaust manifold about 6in from the ports. Is it ok to fit the wideband sensor here or is it too hot?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Well I started her up again with a couple of different settings as ppl had advised on here. Starts first time which is nice. I've had to sort out and play with the warm up graph for the iacv to get it to idle without me pressing the accelerator. Got it to idle at around 1400rpm. I then fixed my timing to 20° and checked it. It was well out after changing the rising/falling edges in the ignition settings. So I reset that. Then I noticed it had 31.5° of advance. I plugged in my laptop into my other car,(same make and model) and saw that it was 20° or so. Once I tweaked the ignition table at this area the idle has come down again. Got it as low as 1000rpm and steady for a short while. I feel I'm getting it there slowly. Need to do a couple more things and then I'll take it to a proper tuner to get it sorted.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

I dare say you'll be telling me that's the wrong way to go about it haha, but I'm the sort of person who learns by messing with stuff. And also engines for my car are only £150. Not sure what that is in Dollars, but it's not much if I mess up.
Wideband should be arriving in the next couple of days so that's something else to play around with. This is turning out to be the most expensive £200 car on the planet.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Don't suppose any of you guys have an ign table for a 1.3ish na engine.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Goodness me guys, I'm really struggling with what should be the most simple of wiring jobs. Fan relay keeps holding the Megasquirt on when I turn off the ignition. Im just going to have to rethink the wiring of it. I suppose that's the price you pay for trying to make a plug and play solution for my car.
These things just take time to sort out I suppose. Why does this happen just out of curiosity? Anyone.

grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the flyback diode's back feed the 12v back in to the 12v rail in the ecu keeping it alive. anything that the ecu is controlling coils, injectors fan relays ect should all be powered by a 12v source that is controlled by the ignition switch and that will allow you to switch your ecu off with the key

edit: i think as long as the relay coil usually pins 85&86 is on a switch power source this may be enough
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Thanks for that. That's my issue unfortunately. The fan relay +12v relay coil feed is powered directly from the battery. I'll fit a main power relay to shut everything down with ign off.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Finally managed to get things all powered up properly and working. Iacv, O2 heaters, and last but not least, the fan, which has caused me no end of trouble. Holy moly guys there's something to be said in having a bespoke loom and not using the original wiring. Just mocked it up for today in between the rain to test it works. Need to wire it all in neatly now when I get some ok weather as I don't have a garage. The white block is actually Nissans wiring diagram.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

Ok guys, so a quick update. Sorted out the wiring just today as it was not raining.
Also went searching about my VR sensor. I'd wired it with the white wire as vr+, and the black wire vr- as I had no specific info on it.
Turns out I was completely wrong. Went on Bosch's website after reading on here that it might be the other way round.
Sure enough it was. After swapping the wires and setting the ignition settings the other way round in TunerStudio I was able to eliminate my sync errors, it starts first time and I could lower the idle to 760rpm.
I am really made up.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

So. Went for a drive to see what it's like. Drives like on the OEM ecu.
Just need to fit my wideband now to see what's going on.
I can then go and get it tuned.

MegaMicra
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MegaMicra »

So got my wideband bung welded in today and wired up the aem x-series gauge.
The display is as near as dam it the same readings in TunerStudio which I'm pleased about. I can now have a play around tuning it (how hard can it be!). Only joking experienced tuner guys. No offence.
I suppose as long as I keep the afr reasonable I'll be OK for now.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk