Crimp sockets for DB37 harness...

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Targa44
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Crimp sockets for DB37 harness...

Post by Targa44 »

...I'm trying to determine what female crimp pins specifically are used to wire a harness to the DB37. I've been to Mouser, Digikey and a few others but I don't see anything that looks exactly like DIYs. I've asked DIY directly (a few times), but was told I could use the 'extra' 10' black wire that already has one end crimped and connect them together. I can understand why DIY doesn't really want to sell little individual items like this because they're so available elsewhere - but where can I find the ones DIY uses?

Does anybody (well, somebody does) know exactly what DIY uses and it's source and product #? They appear to be gold (at least on the 10' wire I bought to actually see one) and appear to crimp only the wire and not the sheath.

thanks,

kj
Last edited by Targa44 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Crimp pins for DB37 harness...

Post by kjones6039 »

Targa44 wrote:......................appear to crimp only the wire and not the sheath.
FWIW, I prefer the ones that crimp the sheath also, which are the kind I use. I actually have never seen any like you describe. I will look at my DIY cable first chance I get though. You never know, I may learn something here! :D

Ken

EDIT: Well, I was wrong.(in part)
I went to the extent of removing a pin from my DIY built harness. I found the pin to be identical to the ones I have been buying from various suppliers. The only thing I found to be different is that DIY did not crimp the insulation (as you pointed out). Otherwise there is no difference!

Take it from an old hand - the DB pins that are available from all of the suppliers you mentioned, will be satisfactory.
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

OP, I have plenty of those pins, and the crimp tool, about 15 minutes away from you...

Edit: Are you looking for pins or sockets? I have both, but far more of the sockets.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

d*** Bill, that's what I call service!! I would have made the same offer 'cept I'm a darn sight farther than 15 minutes away. I suspect you have plenty of pins Bill, but if you run short I will tie some to the leg of one of our local jackrabbits (aka USPS) and start him your way......... Just let me know......... :lol:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Targa44
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Targa44 »

thanks Ken, I figure the ones I got from Digikey (2 variants) will work. I was just trying some detective work.

Hi Bill, I just got a crimper tool also.... not the $100+ type but one from Amazon that had lots of people singing its praises. It looks like it will crimp the insulation and wire at the same time with slightly varying "bite". Thanks for the follow-up on another thread also. I really appreciate your help here. As you've no doubt noticed, I haven't responded to replies yet as I feel compelled to match the DIY relay cable to the pigtail that came with my unit with all pins connected. DIY says I really "shouldn't" need to, but something made a big change from the test stand to the car and this cable is the only thing I can think of (outside of losing that original MS tune - well after the switch to the car).

Pins vs. sockets. Is that gender based? One of my Digikey receipts says "connector socket 20-24awg crimp tin" and they're female. So, my title is likely misleading.... par for the course for me (and another good catch by you). Just changed it.

kj
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Crimp sockets for DB37 harness...

Post by billr »

Here are some Digi-Key numbers:

A99332CT-ND That is the "pin" for 24-20AWG and gold on the contact surfaces
A104950-ND The "socket"

The "socket" is kind of a tube with flexible lips that open up... I call it a "female"
The "pin" is a stiff round piece that slips inside the tubular passage in the socket, opening the sockets lips as it enters... I call the pin the "male"

Although that may sound pretty intuitive, it still gets confusing because the male pins are usually in a female "receptacle" housing and the female sockets are in a male "plug" housing. Not always though, there are "reverse sex" housings for many types of connectors (not sure about the DB series). So, male/female depends on whether you are talking about contacts or housings. I think M/F is always the same for the contacts.

Are you adding grounds from the MS, via the pins that had no wires originally in the cable to the relay board?

I'm a little surprised you haven't netted more advise, or at least questions, about your tune. I was hoping some folks experienced with that Porsche engine would chime in. I feel confident we can muddle through getting you a reasonably useful tune to get it to the dyno, but figured it would be faster to get there if somebody else speaks up.

PS: Those contact P/Ns are what I used most recently, but I have plenty others that are gold "all over", if you are in need.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Surprised so many seem to like the crimp variety. D connectors were originally designed to be soldered - and the housing (should) include a decent strain relieve to prevent any flexing near the solder.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Targa44
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Targa44 »

Thanks Dave - I would have soldered, but the relay cable harness is pinned (I hope...based on some of the product offerings and references I've seen). So, just sticking with "what I got". I'll see if I can pull that thing out today to do the added wires - if soldered, then of course, I'll solder.

thanks Bill. I'll check those out. Yes - I'm completing the grounds (that DIY says I don't need) because I don't know how the builder of this unit grounded the extra BIP373s or extra Baro sensor or anything else. So, it's an abundance of caution to just rule this out - since that pigtail had all pins connected (he made the harness too - so it's just a guess he might have used some).

I'm thinking that more will offer suggestions on the other thread after I've put in a bit more time to this and applied the directional ideas you and another have offered up.

thanks,

kj
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

A bit off-topic, but...

Don't you eventually need to have an output for driving your tach? I'm wondering if that added white wire on the V3.0 that has been clipped was for that. Maybe you should take some pictures of that and get a thread going on it too.

FYI: I like the crimp contacts, they are not a "compromise" for me at all.