Generic Sensor - Thermistor

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Generic Sensor - Thermistor

Post by goodysgotacuda »

I installed another coolant temp sensor into my oil system so that I can monitor oil temp. It is a two-wire sensor with one going to "Sensor Ground" and the other is going into the Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 input into my Megasquirt MS3 Gold Box. I am unsure how to set it up and read properly. Attached is my .MSQ, can anyone help me get it going?
2017-08-20_18.3oad-uplaod.msq
1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - 5.7L Hemi w/T56 Magnum

MS3 Gold Box, TunerStudio MS/MegaLogViewerHD user
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Generic Sensor - Thermistor

Post by Raymond_B »

I'm no expert, but I do not think that will not work on an input that is setup for 0-5V analog. You'll need another port or another type of sensor.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by goodysgotacuda »

Raymond_B wrote:I'm no expert, but I do not think that will not work on an input that is setup for 0-5V analog. You'll need another port or another type of sensor.
Thanks, unfortunately I think you are probably right. Is there another input that would be able to read a thermistor?
1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - 5.7L Hemi w/T56 Magnum

MS3 Gold Box, TunerStudio MS/MegaLogViewerHD user
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

goodysgotacuda wrote:
Raymond_B wrote:I'm no expert, but I do not think that will not work on an input that is setup for 0-5V analog. You'll need another port or another type of sensor.
Thanks, unfortunately I think you are probably right. Is there another input that would be able to read a thermistor?
I think only the dedicated ones like CLT or MAT. I've started using AEM sensors as they use a +5v signal. Gives you more flexibility.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I'm not familiar with the Gold Box but there might be a way to add the needed pull up resistor on the board. You'll need to ask your vendor and/or the manufacturer as the hardware details are not public.

If you don't have that option, you can use an external resistor between Vref and the analog input you're using. For the typical GM calibration, use a 2.49k Ohm resistor (1/4W and 1% or better). And put the resistor as close as possible to the ECU connector or, even better, inside the box.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum