034motorsport VR and no signal

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Raphwygum
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Raphwygum »

Hi, I'm mounting a ms3 ecu with ms3x (3.57) on my kr golf and I face this problem. I got a trigger kit from 034motorsport. It fit well on the car I've join vr+ vr- and shield to ecu's one. But when I look at composite logger it tell me empty read no data received from controller. I did open the ECU and turn J1 fully CCW and nothing to do. At the moment there is a very small gap between VR sensor and the wheel.. So what did I make wrong?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 034motorsport VR and no signal

Post by DaveEFI »

JI has got me confused.

There are two VR inputs on an MS3X. You'd normally use the one on the main PCB for the crank signal, and the one on the X card for a cam sensor, if used.

The two adjustments for the VR input on the main PCB are R52 and R56. Start with both fully CCW. If no signal adjust R56 1 turn CW and try again. And repeat if needed. (a JimStim is very useful to check your VR input is working, and the software set for the number of teeth, etc)

If no instructions, I normally set the VR sensor gap to 1mm.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Agreed I have used that sensor and both pots ccw works well. Sensor gap at 1mm is a good start as well.

Watch runout on the trigger wheel. I have seen a few that aren't concentric and needed to be machined.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
Raphwygum
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Raphwygum »

Sorry I did not explain myself well. I was meaning that I turned the potentiometer next to J1 fully CCW. And I got no signal. I do use MS3 base for crankshaft sensor and at the moment. I will add a camshaft later. How much mv should I measure to allow MS3 read correctly the signal? I am going to put it at 1.00mm to see if it works better.

Thank you.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Not familiar with the V3.57 PCB, but at a quick glance the pot next to JI is R52. Which I've found hardly ever needs adjusting from fully CCW.

It's R56 - bottom of the PCB - which may well need tweaking.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I would expect at least 500mV AC while cranking. Post a tooth-log, one that is several pages (5 or so) long.
Raphwygum
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Raphwygum »

My appologize you were both right r56 and r52 fully ccw was enough but I did turn only r52 thinking it was r56. After turning both car started well.
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

I can't remember for sure with the 034 sensor but for most 60-2 and the 3.57, I use a 10k resistor installed instead of the vr input jumper. May be worth a shot if you have issues at higher rpm.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
Raphwygum
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Raphwygum »

Thank You. Actually I haven't rev up to more than 6k RPM. But as soon as I'll do it I will see if I have some issue and I will try it.
Thank's again!