No AFR and Unexplained Timing Advance

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kenjfox
MS/Extra Newbie

No AFR and Unexplained Timing Advance

Post by kenjfox »

Trying to get my new MS3X install to idle on Miata BP4W. Seems I have no AFR- the gauge doesn't move from 7 or 8 while running, and the log is showing a tiny number. The Innovate gauge shows the 7.8ish number as well. Also, the engine is hunting severely- the engine almost stalls out, then the advance shoots way up to mid 30's, or maybe vice versa. I have open circuit on the idle control, so am not expecting the ignition to advance so much. Am very new to this, so could be something obvious. When I look at the ignition table, I don't see how the advance could go up that high. At this point, I'm looking for 2 things:

1. Anyone have issues or pointers with configuring an LC2 with MS3? I double checked the wiring and all looks correct. How to troubleshoot?
2. Could the AFR explain what I'm experiencing? If not- where else should I be looking? Are there better log fields to choose than the default?

Thanks,

Ken
kenjfox
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: No AFR and Unexplained Timing Advance

Post by kenjfox »

I'd appreciate some guidance on troubleshooting the advance issue.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Post a log as native MSL, maybe you will get more replies. Some of us don't bother with anything other than MSQ and MSL.
kenjfox
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kenjfox »

The log is native msl, just zipped due to size restrictions.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I would first connect to the LC2 with LogWorks and see if the reading is equally high there. If so, I'd pull a lot of fuel out with the VE table.

As for the timing, TunerStudio has a screen to display all your timing calculations at the bottom of the Ignition Set-Up. Check that to see if a stray correction table is giving you too much timing.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
kenjfox
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kenjfox »

Okay thanks Matt.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

I looked at your advance issue, its following your table. You have high advance numbers at low MAP and mid rpm, which is normal. When your motor is running 2500-3000 rpm with no load the vacuum is high and the advance matches your table.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!