Alternative CLT source

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

thedrew
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Alternative CLT source

Post by thedrew »

Hey folks,

using MS3x, 1.5.0

Is it possible to use a generic sensor as the CLT source? I have an air cooled engine, and I use thermocouples to measure head temp through a thermocouple amplifier. I'm trying to see if I could tell the ECU to use the 0-5v output of the thermocouple amp as the CLT source.

Thanks!
VW Turbo Buggy 2276cc MS3X sequential
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Alternative CLT source

Post by whittlebeast »

It may be easiest to do an oil temp sensor. All you need is a temp sensor that changes resistance as the oil temp changes.

The MS world simply has cold engine fuel enrichment as a function of temperature.

Andy
fast930
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fast930 »

If the car is a porsche use a BMW 325 coolant sensor. It will thread into the left cam cover. As stated above it's only used for warmup enrichment
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Using the oil temperature is usually not the best choice because it will change too slowly. You're better off using a head temperature sensor.

And you cannot use a 0-5V signal on the CLT input without changing the input circuit: the bias resistor would interfere. I'm not sure you can correctly calibrate the sensor even with the correct circuit because the code expects an NTC type of calibration.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
thedrew
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by thedrew »

I was hoping in software I could just say "use this input as the CLT source"

but apparently no
fast930
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fast930 »

I was using cht and it worked fine, but I'm here in south Florida so the oil temp works great.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It looks as if you could deal with the bias resistor by using a buffer circuit and write a custom INC file to convert a thermocouple output to temperature, since the code's internal look up is simply to use a table that tells it "If the coolant input ADC is X, the temperature is Y." TunerStudio uses a model of an NTC sensor to generate look up tables, but it can also write the lookup table from an externally generated file.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
vw_chuck
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by vw_chuck »

You should be able to use a generic sensor as the CHT input. If you can't that is pretty lame. I was hoping to do the same thing with thermocouple amp on an air-cooled.
thedrew
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by thedrew »

vw_chuck wrote:You should be able to use a generic sensor as the CHT input. If you can't that is pretty lame. I was hoping to do the same thing with thermocouple amp on an air-cooled.
you can, but you can't say "use this generic sensor for my warmup enrichment" which is what I want to do
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I think Matt C is saying you can do that by making a custom LUT for the standard CLT input.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

billr wrote:I think Matt C is saying you can do that by making a custom LUT for the standard CLT input.
Correct. The MS3 allows it but you need to make the look up table yourself.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
vern_k
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by vern_k »

I am using a head temp sensor in place of a CLT on my VG30E, mapped the sensor out put at a couple temps then crossed it with the FSM and used the calibration tool in Tuner Studio, set the gauge to extended. I was able to stay with in a couple degrees of the reading I get from the infrared thermometer on the sensor