wiring suggestions/best practices for VR crank sensor

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: wiring suggestions/best practices for VR crank sensor

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Did you take tooth logs after swapping +/-?
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
wndrllama103
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wndrllama103 »

I did. I don't know where they are now though.

It didn't look like my current tooth logs were showing signs of being wired up backwards. I guess either the previous or following tooth shows long if it's wired backward?

Either way, it doesn't matter now. It's all hall sensor from here on out.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Long term, a VR sensor is more reliable. As it is very simple electrically. A hall sensor has electronics which can fail with heat. A hall sensor on my car with standard factory injection failed twice in 10 years.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
wndrllama103
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wndrllama103 »

DaveEFI wrote:Long term, a VR sensor is more reliable. As it is very simple electrically. A hall sensor has electronics which can fail with heat. A hall sensor on my car with standard factory injection failed twice in 10 years.
I could see that. Probably why Audi uses a VR sensor.

The operating range of the sensor is up to 125C. My oil shouldn't be getting that hot, but it probably is on the upper end of the range for the sensor. If it fails, I might consider moving to an externally mounted crank sensor.

Either way, it's running now. With the VR it was barely driveable.
Drew442
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Drew442 »

I've had this issue before and it turned out the VR- was grounded. It was not a VW 1.8, it was a Honda bike.

VR- should be open circuit to ground.
wndrllama103
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wndrllama103 »

Drew442 wrote:I've had this issue before and it turned out the VR- was grounded. It was not a VW 1.8, it was a Honda bike.

VR- should be open circuit to ground.
Do you mean the sensor itself?

I'm not sure what you mean by "open circuit to ground", but the bosch vr sensor was not grounded to the engine, and was connected directly to the CKP +/- (with a 10K resistor in parallel). The entire wire (minus the plug) was shielded.

Eh, I dunno.

Like I've said before, I'm sure I've done something stupidly wrong and I'm getting burned by it now. It's probably some sort of grounding issue. Either way, everything works fine now apart from my VSS sensor. Which is a hall sensor running on unshielded wire. It mostly works, it just bounces around a lot. I'll fix it next time the engine is out of the car.