AFR readings pegged lean and running very rich

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

planet6racing
MS/Extra Newbie

AFR readings pegged lean and running very rich

Post by planet6racing »

Thought I could solve this myself, but turns out I need help.

Car: 1992 Saturn SL2 full race - SCCA F Production. MS3 1.3.2 release

Problem: Exiting turn 3 (right hand turn), the car suddenly went off song and started "bogging" - still ran and accelerated, but did so poorly and not nearly at the same rate as before. Nothing of note going through the corner - no hitting of a curb or excessive rumble strip on exit. Datalog attached. Reviewing it shows an increase in lost cycle counts near the change in power as well as the AFR going to 22.0 and essentially staying there. Plugs do not look like they are running lean and there is excessive popping noises from the exhaust (indicating, to me, excessive fuel in the exhaust stream).

Wideband O2 system using LC-1. Calibration was last done at start of the season (April, 2017) in accordance with the Innovate Motorsports instructions. Sensor location is in the factory O2 sensor location (~12" from head) and the HBX-1 heat sink bung adapter.

Attempts to remedy the problem include recalibrating sensor, replacement of the entire wideband system (replaced with Innovate Motorsports LC-2) including sensor (following proper calibration process). Confirmed signal path to MS3 and voltage to LC-2 as being correct. Used Logworks to confirm LC-2 output matches what MS3 is seeing.

So far, no correction found - the AFR either indicates full lean or full rich (when lifting off the throttle). Fuel smell is very rich. Very frustrated as I am not sure what to trust.

Help!

Thank you,
Bill
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: AFR readings pegged lean and running very rich

Post by Matt Cramer »

A rich misfire can easily give a false lean reading.

If the lost sync counts continue to be a problem, I'd try capturing them in a composite log.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X