Odd fire timing light check 50% correct during cranking

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Mr Bombjoy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Odd fire timing light check 50% correct during cranking

Post by Mr Bombjoy »

Engine: DeLorean PRV B28F odd-fire V6 (90/50 angles). Firing order 1-6-3-5-2-4. Facing motor, #1 is rear RH and #6 is front LH.
Ignition: MSD 6530 connected to 3X TACH output.
Trigger wheels: Crankshaft 36-1, Camshaft has custom 50/50 with Hamlin/Littelfuse 55505 geartooth sensor.

Scenario: Reassembling the fuel & intake setup and I'm to the point where I wanted to check ignition. Got the tooth #1 angle set, set fixed timing at 13deg BTDC and used timing light to confirm factory 13degrees mark on block index plate. On cylinder #1 the index plate has perfect strobe alignment with the notch on the crank pulley during cranking.

In stock setup, these engines were kind of a pain to time the #1 cylinder due to the airbox location and a ton of K-Jetronic fuel hoses being in the way. Because of this there is a second notch on the crank pulley which can be used to time the motor from the #6 piston. I moved the timing light to #6 but during cranking the #6 mark is not aligned with the index plate on the block. Cap / wire order verified.

I'm wondering if I'm overthinking this and because the engine is not yet running, that the proper 90/50 ignition timing isn't guaranteed to happen?

I was hoping there was a logging view where I could visually see the call to fire the coil and see a staggered 90/50 ignition pattern. I'm still pretty new at this so I'm just not sure where to look, or if things timing won't appear correct until the motor is actually running above the 200RPM the starter can manage.

The MSD is in points mode with all curves blanked out and shouldn't be doing anything to adjust the spark timing.
2017-09-22_20.09.54.csv
Last edited by Mr Bombjoy on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Odd fire timing light check 50% correct during cranking

Post by billr »

I can't help much, I have never gotten into that odd-fire stuff; and having the MSD box in between things confuses it more. However, I feel pretty confident that having timing "not right until the engine is running" isn't correct. Common-sense tells me an engine would have great difficulty starting that way to get to running and correct timing on all cylinders, if it would start at all.
Mr Bombjoy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mr Bombjoy »

I would also think that the strobe should be spot-on for both #1 and #6 even when cranking and not actually running.

Josh's project in this thread almost like half of the motor has retarded timing, which it seems like an odd-fire timed as an even-fire would do. I'm really hoping to take a 600mi trip in a week and am hoping to avoid this kind of situation :D
Mr Bombjoy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mr Bombjoy »

Talking out loud...

Looking at the distributor cap:
https://www.sparesbox.com.au/media/cata ... 2210-1.jpg

The bottom right is 1, then 6 on the bottom left.

Since the 1->6 period is long, I'm wondering if the Oddfire First Angle should be 150 instead of 90. I'm going to add some degree marks to the crank pulley and check timing on all 6 just to see what's really happening.
Mr Bombjoy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mr Bombjoy »

That did it.

Just to reiterate for search engines: The PRV V6 odd-fire engine needs the Oddfire First Angle to be set at 150 instead of 90.

Using a 36-1 wheel with a 50/50 cam sensor, 150 degrees shows TDC strobe on cylinder 1 and cylinder 6.