IAC Problems

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Trump
Experienced MS/Extra'er

IAC Problems

Post by Trump »

Hi
I think I posted this in the wrong forum so am resubmitting it here.
Triumph TR5 2.7Ltr straight 6 running MSPro (Gen 1) MS3 1.2.3 Firm. TS MS v3.0.28. Mitsubishi 3.0 Ltr V6 throttle body and distributor. Sequential injection and wasted spark.

The problem is with the IAC control. On start it will not always set to the value noted in the chart. Sometimes it will stay closed. It always seems to work for fan idle up but will not work on air con idle up. When first switched on you can hear the IAC resetting but TS shows it will not always go to the start setting.

I have attached the MSQ and a log taken when the air con is switched on.
Triumph TR3A. MS3X, IBT, Fully Sequential Injection, Wasted spark, 60-2 crank wheel.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: IAC Problems

Post by Matt Cramer »

Is this a six wire IAC? If so, where's it getting power?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Trump
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Trump »

Hi Mat, long time since I spoke to you.
It is a 6 wire system and seems to be powered from the injector power. I have attached a diag of how the Mitsubishi plug is wired into the MSPro loom.
Triumph TR3A. MS3X, IBT, Fully Sequential Injection, Wasted spark, 60-2 crank wheel.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You may need to wire it to 12 volt switched power. If the injectors are powered from the fuel pump, you may have the fuel pump shut off while the ECU is still running through the homing cycle.
Trump
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Trump »

The injector power is from the main power relay relay, not the fuel pump. I used the IAC test option in TS and found that the max steps is only 75 not the 240 I had set in the MSQ. I reset the idle steps but the problem still exist.
The IAC seems to work well on test but when the engine was running and the engine temp was still cool, there was a difference between the step count on TS dash and the step count on the test screen when I returned to the Run position. The TS showed 20 and the test screen showed 40.
I have attached the current MSQ.
All this started when the owner gave me the car to try and fix a hard starting problem. I can get it to start but the IAC will not work consistently and it struggles to get above about 450RPM on a cool re- start. The first start seems OK.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Can you post a data log of what's going on on the restarts? This will let me see how that tune is working in the real world.