Misfire caused by sync loss?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

bren32
MS/Extra Newbie

Misfire caused by sync loss?

Post by bren32 »

Engine is a Kawasaki zx12, turbo. Ms3x running sequential spark and fuel, 24 tooth crank with vr sensor. Single tooth on cam also VR. Between 7 and 10k getting misfire (see screenshot of example of problem) sync loss in logs. Does this look like it's an issue with the crank sensor causing sync loss? AFR goes lean at time of issue. Any help or advice appreciated. Examples of the issue at approx 39.905 and 44.476 in attached log file. Included comp log as example, no issues in this file.
missfire_1.PNG
missfire_1.PNG (28.04 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Attachments
zx12.msq
(285.87 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
2017-09-30_16.59.22.msl
(682.58 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Misfire caused by sync loss?

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

Yes, looks like you have sync losses. RPM doesn't drop to 0 which I'm used to see...maybe log resolution isn't high enough.
You probably need to run the tooth/sync loggers to find out which VR sensor is the problem. Myself I have a problem with the VR sensor at the crank, will replace it with a Hall sensor since my VR-sensor doesn't seem to have a consistent behavior...
Martin, Sweden
Mopar 512 cui, 8.4 liters, high compression, fuel E85, full sequential control by MS3X, burning rubber just blipping the throttle... :D
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

Already tried a resistor 10K parallel to crank sensor ?
bren32
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by bren32 »

Thanks for the reply's, I've taken a coupe of composite logs. I'm seeing a couple of big gaps with no crank signal showing and extra cam signals. Is this what a sync loss will look like? Screenshots of normal composite log and screenshot of error attached.
What is happening here?
What is happening here?
composite_error.PNG (27.59 KiB) Viewed 586 times
comp_ok.PNG
comp_ok.PNG (74.05 KiB) Viewed 586 times
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Post tooth-logs, and post the actual CSV file; not screen-shots.
bren32
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by bren32 »

Composite log attached. Error occurs at record 92
Attachments
2017-09-30_17.43.14_edit.csv
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

In record 92 I don't see a clear sync error, but you have the same empty, 1 second area that I am seeing in my logs. I have so far not seen an explanation of the phenomenon...I have switched laptops, made no difference...
Martin, Sweden
Mopar 512 cui, 8.4 liters, high compression, fuel E85, full sequential control by MS3X, burning rubber just blipping the throttle... :D
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

The empty area needs to be investigated by James and Phil. It happens on many cars and many different combinations, and it is very frustrating when you try to troubleshoot a sync loss problem.
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
bren32
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by bren32 »

I'm putting the the issue shown at record 92 down to a comms issues when the log was being taken rather than an issue with sync loss. I've found an issue later in the file which I believe is causing my problem (Record 204). There is an extra tooth being recorded right before I get sync loss. It was difficult to see from the logs as it happens very close to the next tooth. See screenshot below. Can anyone tell me how/where should I put the 10k resistor to stop this from happening? Is that the best method to prevent this?
Extra_tooth.PNG
Extra_tooth.PNG (79.56 KiB) Viewed 546 times
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

LAV1000 wrote:Already tried a resistor 10K parallel to crank sensor ?
Take the resistor wires an connect each wire to its own VR sensor wire.
One resitor wire to one vr sensor wire, the other resistor wire to the other vr sensor wire.

Doesn't matter were, somewhere near the sensor or even in side the MS3x unit.
SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

bren32 wrote: Can anyone tell me how/where should I put the 10k resistor to stop this from happening? Is that the best method to prevent this?
Extra_tooth.PNG
You have exactly the same extra tooth that I have. I solved it easily by activating the noise filtering in the Ignition Settings meny, you pick the settings needed right out of the microseconds shown in your log.
Unfortunately the newborn engine power I found (without any sync errors) caused a cabling problem due to more engine movement so I am just about to start testing again... :D
Martin, Sweden
bren32
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by bren32 »

Thanks for the replies, I'll try the Noise filtering first and see if that helps, if not will try the resistor.