Engine Quit after partial loss of ground incident

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mlynch
MS/Extra Newbie

Engine Quit after partial loss of ground incident

Post by mlynch »

I have had my FIAT Spyder running perfectly on a MEGASQUIRT 3 V3.57x and was out on Sunday when the engine suddenly quit. I found that a ground had come loose from the MS3.57 X card ground wires. This is MS3 V3.57X Board. Full Sequential, One coil Per cylinder (D585 coils and wires to plugs) 36-1 Cam wheel, Low-Z Injectors with a FUEL TECH PEAK HOLD Controller and 14POINT7 WBO2. This installation has run flawlessly for over a year, so this directly related to the loss of ground.

Since the loss of ground was repaired I have no fuel being injected or spark. I have reloaded the firmware, V 1.4.1 (I was getting ready to update to 1.5.0 when this happened). I found a previous tune and reloaded, just in case the tune was corrupted. The Main dash display seems normal. All sensor seem to have logical readings. I have READY, RPM and CRANK SYNC Green Lights. Fuel Pump responds to commands from ECM and Test Modes. The tachometer on the dash indicates that the engine is cranking. Cranking RPM shows 250 rpm on the gauge cluster. The engine will crank forever. Battery Volts are good. I have power to the coils, injectors fuel pump, WBO2 sensor. Engine will not even try to fire. When Cranking the injector pulse width indicates extremely high, with the gauge on the dash showing 40+ mSec Pulse width, which seems abnormally high, yet no fuel is being injected.

Another symptom is that when I enter OUTPUT Test Mode-INJ/SPARK, I cannot get the coils or the injectors to fire. I can then open OUTPUT Test MODE - I/O 2 in Tuner Studio and make the coils fire by enabling the test mode, then selecting Spk A, B C or D using the "PULSED" option. Using this test option, the injectors will not work. I cannot make the injectors work with EITHER Test Mode. Is it possible that this loss of ground has caused a problem with one or both of the boards? This car has over 5000 miles trouble free with the MEGASQUIRT and until Sunday, I never had any trouble at all. I have included a copy of the tune (.msq file) that I was running, just before this happened. I do not have a recent Data log, since the tune was pretty well developed by early this year and I had stopped doing routine data logs.
PreFirmwareUpgrade_2017-10-01_19.55.15.msq
Tune running just before the incident.
(274.09 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Does anyone offer repair service for my Megasquirt ECM? I would be glad to pay for someone to check it out. I do not have the ability or facilities to repair this ECM if damage is in fact the issue. I have had it just about a year and a half and as I said, it has been flawless up to this point. At this point I fear that I have done damage the ECM Main board and/or the 3.57x add on board with the loss of ground.

Please Advise.

Thank You
Michael Lynch
1982 FIAT Spider Perpetual Project
1985 El Camino SS (EFI Conversion TPI)
1982 HONDA CBX EFI Conversion (In Progress)
"If everyone is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking" - General George S. Patton
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Engine Quit after partial loss of ground incident

Post by jsmcortina »

Try Peter Florance, he's in the USA also.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
mlynch
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Engine Quit after partial loss of ground incident

Post by mlynch »

jsmcortina wrote:Try Peter Florance, he's in the USA also.

James
Thank You James, PM Sent.
Michael Lynch
1982 FIAT Spider Perpetual Project
1985 El Camino SS (EFI Conversion TPI)
1982 HONDA CBX EFI Conversion (In Progress)
"If everyone is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking" - General George S. Patton