No controller...

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

shanevas2
MS/Extra Newbie

No controller...

Post by shanevas2 »

Hi, I tuned a car for a guy the other night with the new PNP for BMW E36. Everything went good except an issue with his Wideband not reading in the computer. So I had him change the input wire no big deal. But tonight I went to plug my computer in, Which I have used to tune many MS3 setups and it told me I needed to do a firmware update. So I proceeded to do so with newest one. After the update now the computer will not connect to the ECU. We even tried his that worked a few days ago and nothing. I have tried changing back to the older firmware but it just will not connect. Now It still has power lights 1 3 and 4 on. But will not connect to a computer or start the car. Any information on how to get this working again will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No controller...

Post by prof315 »

Check the internal fuses
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
shanevas2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by shanevas2 »

I thiught about that, but would the power leds turn on if the fuse blew? I can still check it. I had spare fuses. Hope i can find them and that fixes it.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Sounds to me like your software upgrade failed and is now corrupted - assuming it is not something as simple as a fuse.

I now always do software updates in the workshop using a decent 13.8v power supply for MS and an oldish PC with a proper serial port, and a wired LAN connection. After some frustrating attempts to do it in the car. :D
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Exactly what firmware did you load to the ECU when you updated the firmware?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
shanevas2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by shanevas2 »

The new 1.5.1 hat justcame out.
shanevas2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by shanevas2 »

DaveEFI wrote:Sounds to me like your software upgrade failed and is now corrupted - assuming it is not something as simple as a fuse.

I now always do software updates in the workshop using a decent 13.8v power supply for MS and an oldish PC with a proper serial port, and a wired LAN connection. After some frustrating attempts to do it in the car. :D
If that is the case how do I go about installing a new clean version? Or do we need to send ecu in for that?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Have you tried the boot jumper?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

shanevas2 wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:Sounds to me like your software upgrade failed and is now corrupted - assuming it is not something as simple as a fuse.

If that is the case how do I go about installing a new clean version? Or do we need to send ecu in for that?
No. But do make sure the car battery is fully charged. And that there isn't a problem with the connection from your laptop to MS. USB connections are rather prone to picking up interference, etc.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

billr wrote:Have you tried the boot jumper?
Agreed - if you manage to really get the settings confused, or had something go wrong during the firmware load, the boot jumper is often your best fix.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X