Spark Plug Wires For High HP

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Scottie-GNZ
Master MS/Extra'er

Spark Plug Wires For High HP

Post by Scottie-GNZ »

For the folks making high HP, what spark plug wires are you using? Looking for good high performance wires that won't cause any ECU interference and won't come apart from constantly pulling them off to check plugs.

This is for an LS and was using a set of AC Delcos for an LS9 but the terminal ends for the plugs are not crimped well enough and come off the wire. The Firecores are a little pricey and come highly recommended but not sure if they cause any interference/misfiring problems with the MS. I have a call in to them but have not heard back from them yet.

Thanks
Scottie
Turbo LS Volvo 244
8.746 @ 154.94
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Spark Plug Wires For High HP

Post by Raymond_B »

I've spoken with Rick and his wires have good suppression and you cannot beat the quality. He's a bit hard to get ahold of, but a great guy to do business with once you do.

Just got mine installed.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 94&t=67464
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

I use nothing but MSD 8mm wire (with appropriate terminals/boots of course) on my 383 stroker running LS coils. Never an issue like you describe! I would suggest buying the correct crimping die also.

Ken

EDIT: Summit Racing carries the MSD wire and all components........
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Not sure any lead will survive pulling on it to remove. You need to pull on the plug connector.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
BigBlockMopar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigBlockMopar »

The thing with pulling the wire of sparkplugs is ideally that you first have to create a path to get some air into the boot from beneath. So you need to grab the boot at the very end and pull it off. The proper wire-puller tool will help greatly with this.

Vacuum and friction is what's mainly holding the boot onto the sparkplug, not the metal connector.
Also while they are off, simply retighten the metal connector more firmly onto the cable with the right die or pliers.
Daily driver: 1973 Dodge Dart - 360ci engine - 11.3:1cr - MS3x - ignition only. 42RH/A500 OD+LU transmission / 3.23 gears
--------------
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BigBlockMopar
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Magnacore plug wires are rather pricey but very high quality and very very well EMI suppressed. Boots, terminals all of the highest quality. I have a customer running the same set of wires on his race car for ten years now.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Jut a tip that may help. I've found a BNC crimp tool works a treat with plug connectors for the larger EDIS sized plug leads. BNC crimp tools are very common so cheap compared to something made specially for that job.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

DaveEFI wrote:Jut a tip that may help. I've found a BNC crimp tool works a treat with plug connectors for the larger EDIS sized plug leads. BNC crimp tools are very common so cheap compared to something made specially for that job.
Got to agree with Dave on this (as I normally do!). I have also used a BNC crimper with good success. Beats the price of the special tool also!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Scottie-GNZ
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Scottie-GNZ »

Thanks for all the responses guys.

BBM, been pulling spark plug wires at the track for as long as I can remember. It is not that easy getting your fingers in position on an LS to get a good pinch on the boot.

I like the idea of making my own, but the final cost, would just be a little less than the Firecores. I was quite surprised by that, but the cost of quality wire, 8 plug boots and terminal, 8 LS-specific coil boots and terminals and the crimp tool added up fast.

Ironically, I have a set of MSD 8.5mm Super Conductors but it always felt like I had a slight misfire with them and the engine actually ran smoother with the AC Delcos. I guess another option is another set of AC Delcos, giving me lots of spares :D and a removal tool.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
Scottie
Turbo LS Volvo 244
8.746 @ 154.94
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I dunno race engines, but I generally use a high quality resistive core cable. The type I prefer uses a conductive plastic core - but haven't sourced any recently. I'm rather suspicious of claims for spiral wound etc HT cables. If they gave any advantage, they would be OEM.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
BigBlockMopar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by BigBlockMopar »

Scottie-GNZ wrote:BBM, been pulling spark plug wires at the track for as long as I can remember. It is not that easy getting your fingers in position on an LS to get a good pinch on the boot.

I know the same is true with smallblock Mopars. BigBlocks are easier, depending on the engine bay.
I do always make sure I get a firm good grip about halfway the boot, so I know I'm grabbing the metal connector at the same time when I start to pull.

I'm currently running steel core cables with resistor plugs.
Daily driver: 1973 Dodge Dart - 360ci engine - 11.3:1cr - MS3x - ignition only. 42RH/A500 OD+LU transmission / 3.23 gears
--------------
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BigBlockMopar
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Originally, spark plug connectors were held in place by a nut. And the terminal on the plug still unscrews. Perhaps this would be a better way for plugs that have to come out often?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

prof315 wrote:Magnacore plug wires are rather pricey but very high quality and very very well EMI suppressed. Boots, terminals all of the highest quality. I have a customer running the same set of wires on his race car for ten years now.
We use Magnecor wires on most of our builds too, and have had great results with them.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Scottie-GNZ
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Scottie-GNZ »

Is that the KV85?
Scottie
Turbo LS Volvo 244
8.746 @ 154.94