Confused with TACHINPUT

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

spiderman
MS/Extra Newbie

Confused with TACHINPUT

Post by spiderman »

Hello all,

I am using MS3 on v3.00 board. I am simply following the assembly instructions from the link:
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm

I am planning to use Hall Effect sensor to read engine crankshaft hence I have built the circuitry with opto-isolator as mentioned in the page above. I have tested the input circuitry with JimStim without any problems, ie. I am able to read RPM with Tuner Studio.

However when I read from the MS3(base)/V3.0 Hardware Guide from the link:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS3baseV ... re-1.4.pdf
I realized that document mentions to wire TACHSELECT to VRIN for both in sections 5.2.3 and 5.2.4 (ie. meaning that one needs to build VR circuitry)

At this point I am a bit confused, could you please explain me what is going on?

Sincerely.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Confused with TACHINPUT

Post by DaveEFI »

Don't use the MegaManual if using Extra Code. Use the ones linked to at the top of this page. They were written for Extra Code.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
spiderman
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by spiderman »

Ok I understand. I shouldn't use MegaManual. This becomes clear for me after reading the link:
http://megasquirt.info/educational/

Nevertheless what is your comments on tach input? It works just perfect, and as far as my understanding on schematics (schematics from msextra) optoin circuitry seems more convenient for a Hall Effect sensor as a tach input. As I have mentioned before, RPM signal reading is just working with opto circuitry with JimStim.

Sincerely.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

FWIW...... I absolutely recommend using the VR circuit!

Been there, done that!!! :lol:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Umm... if it is working fine, leave it as-is!

It can also work fine using the VR input, but no need to bother changing it now. Of course, if you ever "re-purpose" this MS to use (or temporarily try out) on a different install, you may wish you had finished the board and had VR or some adjustment for Hall threshold available.

PS: note that I have to take the OP's word that it really is working fine.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

spiderman wrote:Ok I understand. I shouldn't use MegaManual. This becomes clear for me after reading the link:
http://megasquirt.info/educational/

Nevertheless what is your comments on tach input? It works just perfect, and as far as my understanding on schematics (schematics from msextra) optoin circuitry seems more convenient for a Hall Effect sensor as a tach input. As I have mentioned before, RPM signal reading is just working with opto circuitry with JimStim.

Sincerely.
It may work just fine. The problem *might* arise if using a hall effect with a multi-tooth wheel. The opto input may not be able to keep up with the number of pulses at very high revs.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

It may work fine on the JimStim, but once reading the actual toothed wheel at high RPM's there could be hickups depending on the frequency response of the sensor.
Porsche 930 3.0 Slantnose
MS3/MS3X Sequential Injection & Spark, MS Knock, Dual plug, LS2 coils, Siemens 55 lb/hr HiZ injectors, ALM-ADV Wide Band,
Carrera Intake, Extrude honed, Ford 70mm Throttlebody, GTX3071R Turbo
spiderman
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by spiderman »

Thank you so much all, I have decided to leave it as it is for now. I am going to use VR circuit if there are problems with optocoupler's response in real system.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

spiderman wrote:Thank you so much all, I have decided to leave it as it is for now. I am going to use VR circuit if there are problems with optocoupler's response in real system.
Excellent choice, IMHO!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
eeklaca
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by eeklaca »

Dennis930 wrote:It may work fine on the JimStim, but once reading the actual toothed wheel at high RPM's there could be hickups depending on the frequency response of the sensor.
I use a bmw e46 330i with factory hall sensor and 60-2 wheel. Its working perfectly with the opto isolator circuit, only need to replace the C11 10n capacitor to a smaller, I use 330 pf.

Tapatalkkal küldve az én EVOLVEO_StrongPhone_Q8_LTE eszközömről