First track day after turbo, sync error, WBO2 dead?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

humjaba
Helpful MS/Extra'er

First track day after turbo, sync error, WBO2 dead?

Post by humjaba »

Hello all. I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose some weird sync issues, and my Innovate LC-2.

I tuned my car on the dyno this Saturday with no issues. However, on track I would get some sort of spark and/or fuel cut (as if hitting a boost cut) under full throttle. The car was plenty fast at 60% throttle so that's what I did for the rest of the morning, but still disconcerting... First I thought it was boost spike, because in my log from session 1 I saw 175kpa (185kpa limit with 10kpa hysteresis?). However, on the third session, the CEL came on and in the logs I found a sync loss at each hiccup. It seemed to happen only under boost when transitioning to wide open throttle quickly coming out of a corner. After my third session, I pulled off the front and rear passenger side grounds, cleaned them up with a wire brush, and put them back on. I ate lunch, came back a couple hours later for session 4 and then the wideband (Innovate LC-2) stopped reading. It seems to be stuck warming up - green flashing light on the controller, and reading ~15% WARMUP in LogWorks. I tried redoing the free-air calibration but it won't get past the warmup stage anytime my sensor is plugged in. I plugged my sensor into someone else's Innovate MTX and it took a while to heat but then seemed to work fine. So it seems the controller has taken a dump? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Logs from each session (one sync loss in each)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pu69jo6fuynje ... 6.msl?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3xf2zq1e8wjp ... 7.msl?dl=0

Thanks all
Tyler
vw_chuck
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: First track day after turbo, sync error, WBO2 dead?

Post by vw_chuck »

The innovate widebands have a history of failures. Throw it in the trash where it belongs. By a 14point 7 wideband or AEM.
briansexsmith
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by briansexsmith »

I had nothing but trouble with innovate. 14 point 7 is so simple and works all the time, love when something just works. if you are just looking for wideband info to feed into the MS the spartan 2 is ideal.
humjaba
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by humjaba »

That's what I've heard from a multitude of people (and in fact this controller gave me hiccups when I first bought it). I'd hate to throw out a perfectly good sensor, though I suppose Innovate's version of the Bosch sensor is not compatible with other controllers?

Has anyone had success using AEM's X-Digital wideband gauge/controller and feeding it to the Megasquirt via CAN? If I'm redoing this setup I would like to avoid the analog link in the signal chain and go straight digital -> digital.
tryingbe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by tryingbe »

humjaba wrote: Has anyone had success using AEM's X-Digital wideband gauge/controller and feeding it to the Megasquirt via CAN? If I'm redoing this setup I would like to avoid the analog link in the signal chain and go straight digital -> digital.
I had a Innovate MTX-L, nothing but trouble.

I have three AEM Uego, not a single issue.

The X-Digital wideband looks great!
1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo MicroSquirted 367whp http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=67324
ffr3247r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ffr3247r »

My Innovate was junk. Spent lots of time and money trying all the things Innovate said was the problem.

Went to AEM X series over cAN worked for a month or so that controller died.

Went to Ballenger and so far trouble free. This is he old NGK
66 Mustang Turbo 6.0 LS on MS3X 80lb Deka injectors Tunerstudio Ultra and MS3 1.5.1
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

humjaba wrote:That's what I've heard from a multitude of people (and in fact this controller gave me hiccups when I first bought it). I'd hate to throw out a perfectly good sensor, though I suppose Innovate's version of the Bosch sensor is not compatible with other controllers?
Actually most of the major wideband manufacturers are using the same Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor now. I know for a fact it works fine with the 14point7 Spartan 2.

I've said this before but I'll repeat one last time ( someone needs to sticky this info....). If your wideband controller doesn't have separate grounds for power and signal it will ALWAYS be somewhat inaccurate due to ground offsets. Get a 14point 7, Ballenger or Daytona sensors twin.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!