m20 e30 stroker going boosted

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

E30stroker
MS/Extra Newbie

m20 e30 stroker going boosted

Post by E30stroker »

hey everybody i have basically completed my first full season drifting, managed to run 7 events , went through about 40+ tires, my stroker build held together, and the ecu managed to give me no problems really, besides a few minor things which i was able to manage,
number one biggest problem was the dead timing on my ID1000's it may be due to how i have my electric fans run, i have 2 fans run off a switch that is grounded and the power comes off the same forward battery junction point that my ecu panel is wired to for power, before i had moved it closer to the source of power the circuit for the fans was run off the panel itself, it was also in front of the ecu on the power block , that problem was when i switch the fans on basically at any time unless just at running temp, the voltage would drop on the ecu and it would cut out due to to rich, after moving the circuit off the panel to battery power, the problem was less noticeable, but you can still hear a change in engine and notice the afrs get fat, then i fooled with the inj dead time, during hot idle while switching the fan on and off and i got it to a place that seams to be manageable, as long as i rev it when i hit the fan switch , then it levels off and idles nice,
-- basically need a bit of insight on this because i've pretty much tried everything, besides running it off a relay, but i don't understand how the relay will draw less power from the battery..
second part, is this offseason i will be adding the turbo system to the motor, and basically need a good heads up on where to start with the ecu to change it over to a boosted motor, i will be adding a knock sensor or two to the harness and bolting them to the block, any suggestions on what sensors i should use,
will also be upgrading to a gm 3bar map, as i'm running a 1 bar i had laying around, will also be adding a clutch switch for 2 step and flat shift, any suggestions on a clutch switch? will the factory e30 switch work, i didn't come with one but i figure it will be easier to install
pre boost ,87 327i stroker, 885 head and b25 intake,, cometic .140' head head gasket , IG1000's, MS3 PRO, long tube headers, mild porting, race cam, welded diff puck clutch, poly all around, subframes reainforced, 2.93 rear diff, dtm shifter, aem wideband, e46 front controll arms, slr mini kit,
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: m20 e30 stroker going boosted

Post by Matt Cramer »

The main things that come to mind are (1) it sounds as if the dead time curve needs a bit more tuning still, and (2) you might want to upgrade the charging system so your battery voltage doesn't drop so far when the fan comes on.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X