Tahoe 5.3L MS3X or MS3Pro with use with LPG gas/propan

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Meguiars
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Tahoe 5.3L MS3X or MS3Pro with use with LPG gas/propan

Post by Meguiars »

Hi i have a Chevy Tahoe 2001 5.3L V8, This car has both LPG and Petrol, Can megasquirt take controll of both and exmple use table switch when driving on LPG for then to switch over to petrol at throttle over example 70%

Anyone here who has Megasquirted 5.3L Tahoe, what aboute auto-transission can it controll that i know ms3Pro can do it.

I read an instruktion on DYI's site for this kind of car and that looked pretty straight forwar when you compare to my Datsun with ms3pro.m
Is theee any PiggyBack system for this car?

Should i just only adjust petrol with fuel and ignition or is the question on top not to far off.

Anyone who have q Usefull Tune for this tahoe?

Thanx in
//Stian
Last edited by Meguiars on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Tahoe 5.3L MS3X or MS3Pro

Post by Matt Cramer »

Meguiars wrote:Hi i have a Chevy Tahoe 2001 5.3L V8, This car has both LPG and Petrol, Can megasquirt take controll of both and exmple use table switch when driving on LPG for then to switch over to petrol at throttle over example 70%
There's a dedicated dual fuel code for this.
Anyone here who has Megasquirted 5.3L Tahoe, what aboute auto-transission can it controll that i know ms3Pro can do it.
This requires a second box like a MicroSquirt, communicating over CAN. It can be done with either an MS3X or MS3Pro.
I read an instruktion on DYI's site for this kind of car and that looked pretty straight forwar when you compare to my Datsun with ms3pro.m
Is theee any PiggyBack system for this car?
If by "piggyback" you mean something that modifies signal to or from the stock ECU, nothing in the MegaSquirt lineup does this.
Should i just only adjust petrol with fuel and ignition or is the question on top not to far off.

Anyone who have q Usefull Tune for this tahoe?

Thanx in
//Stian
You'll have to tune both the fuel and spark maps; don't just stay with a base tune and leave it there.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Meguiars
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Tahoe 5.3L MS3X or MS3Pro

Post by Meguiars »

I wass thinking more aboute if i nedd to tune LPG (GAS) and Petrol seperatly. The Proins LPG system i got have a ecu for its own, so its more like a flex sensor.

So what i mean is im cruising in 60mph on LPG and take a kickdown then i want the petrol side to take over and for then to return to LPG when under 70% throttle and/or with a push button.

//Stian
Meguiars
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Tahoe 5.3L MS3X or MS3Pro with use with LPG gas/propan

Post by Meguiars »

I know that i have to tune both spark and petrol (fuel) as 1 tune, but can MS3x (pro) i have both turn on and off the LPG System and what settings and wires should i use?

when it comes with this instalation should i cut the wires from Original ecu so that megasquirt needs to controll spark and fuel?

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... ur-sbc-v8/

This is what Dyi auto pages.

//Stian Sand
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

That link is for Gen 1 engiens, not the 5.3.

LPG and gasoline have wildly different spark timing, warmup enrichment, and acceleration enrichment needs. The VE table itself is often similar, but nothing else is. You'll want to tune accordingly.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Meguiars
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Meguiars »

Thank you all for answering my questions, the next question is if somebody have wiring schematic so i can connect the megasquirt into the car, chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L

Now i think its harder to Megasquirt the Tahoe.

Can i use the engines original trigger sensor, i dont know if its hall or VR sensor, and anyone know if my injectors is high or low OHM.

Does anyone have a base map for the N/A engine either on LPG or/and Gas/petrol.

//Stian