Engine continues to run after ignition switches off

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

James
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Engine continues to run after ignition switches off

Post by James »

Hi all,

So I’ve recently put my car back on the road - it involved a bit of rewiring to neaten up the MS install I did back in 2010 or so.

After putting it back together the engine continues to run after the ignition key has been switched off - it does this for ten seconds or so and then stops.

If I pull the fuse for the MS the engine stops straight away.

I thought it might be something to do with the fan delay after ignition off - but checked that and switched it off and it still carries on running.

The Brantz trip meter I have installed also continues to be on after I switch off - but with very dim LED digits.

A couple of years away and all the MS knowledge I built up has withered away.

Anyone with any ideas?

James
Triumph 2000 Mk1 — 2 litre straight 6 — MS3+MS3X, 36-1, wasted spark — Install Details
Twitter
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Engine continues to run after ignition switches off

Post by grom_e30 »

check to see if any thing the ms controls like a fan relay ect has 12v when the key is off
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Something is backfeeding power. Make sure all devices that use 12 volt power (injectors, fuel pump relay, IAC valve, etc) lose power with the key off.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
James
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by James »

To answer my own question — it was a voltage regulator fitted backwards that was the issue.

(thanks for the suggestions!)

James
Triumph 2000 Mk1 — 2 litre straight 6 — MS3+MS3X, 36-1, wasted spark — Install Details
Twitter