Place for the cam tooth to pass the sensor.

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

reginatobr
MS/Extra Newbie

Place for the cam tooth to pass the sensor.

Post by reginatobr »

Dears

I have a doubt about MS3X, configured with 60-2 Missing tooth crank wheel and single tooth cam wheel.
The manual of MS3X recommends place single tooth to pass the sensor more or less 120 ° before TDC (compression) and before missing teeth of crank wheel.

Should I follow this 120 ° angle? How much can I change in relation to this angle?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Place for the cam tooth to pass the sensor.

Post by grom_e30 »

if its a single tooth as opposed to a poll level sensor the only place you DO NOT want it to happen is during the missing teeth. other than that is should work fine i would aim for a bit of leeway sat ether 10-15 or more teeth, either before or after the missing gap. and the engine phase does not matter as if its on the wrong cycle just add 360 to the tooth#1 angle. with a missing tooth wheel the ecu only uses the cam signal to detect the engine phase when it syncs up, on a running engine you could unplug the cam sensor and it will continue to run sequentially and would only look for it again if the ecu lost track of the crank signal.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
reginatobr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by reginatobr »

grom_e30 wrote:if its a single tooth as opposed to a poll level sensor the only place you DO NOT want it to happen is during the missing teeth. other than that is should work fine i would aim for a bit of leeway sat ether 10-15 or more teeth, either before or after the missing gap. and the engine phase does not matter as if its on the wrong cycle just add 360 to the tooth#1 angle. with a missing tooth wheel the ecu only uses the cam signal to detect the engine phase when it syncs up, on a running engine you could unplug the cam sensor and it will continue to run sequentially and would only look for it again if the ecu lost track of the crank signal.
So, I can place for the cam tooth to pass the sensor any angle between TDC first cylinder (exhaustion) and TDC first cylinder (compression), provided you do not place between 10-15 before or after the missing gap?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

the only place it can't happen is where the missing teeth are other than that it should work. normally it signals that tdc compression is the next tdc. but if it ended up on the wrong tdc (exhaust stroke) it would just be a case of adding 360 to the tooth#1 angle.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
reginatobr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by reginatobr »

grom_e30 wrote:the only place it can't happen is where the missing teeth are other than that it should work. normally it signals that tdc compression is the next tdc. but if it ended up on the wrong tdc (exhaust stroke) it would just be a case of adding 360 to the tooth#1 angle.
Thanks for the clarifications.
jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

So as I read this something comes to me. Cam signal only during a tooth. Hmmm. so on a 36-1 each tooth may only be 5 degrees wide ? and a 62 tooth wheel 2.5. and that is max numbers. I set my crank sensor to above minimum specs and am 2 degrees on each tooth. Now with a bad ass valve train and heavy springs just a deflection in the chain can be this much, A belt maybe even worse ! No wonder why I have lost sync with cam signal at high rpm. HMMMM???? Correct me if I'm wrong but who can set up a cam and crank sensor both adjustable to avoid this from crossing into a cam signal happening in the void of a crank tooth. Most can get it right but how many do ? Write the code so it doesn't matter when the cam signal happens !
Fastest MS powered vehicle on the planet ! 6.60@208mph
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I think you were reading that wrong. The cam pulse (or its edge) does not have to be "on a tooth", like when a tooth is triggering the CKP sensor, it just can't be in the missing-tooth gap. The CMP pulse can occur during any other CKP tooth-gap (or tooth).
jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

Think I read it right. So if it crosses and lands on that spot just once your effed right ? not so hard to do with 2mm wide teeth on crank sensor. All the more reason to run low tooth count crank trigger and with wide teeth.
Fastest MS powered vehicle on the planet ! 6.60@208mph
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

No you did not read that right. The only limitation for the cam signal position is the missing tooth gap. Everywhere else is fine regardless of the tooth width.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum