MS3X Setup

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

garrycol
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3X Setup

Post by garrycol »

MS3X is built and tested OK so I now need to set it up using JimStimX and get an initial engine map into the MS.

Which document do I follow to set this up - the Megasquirt 3 Setting Up PDF or theTunerStudio MS Lite Reference Guide obviously in conjunction with the Tuner Studio software.

I have been using the Setting Up PDF in conjunction with Tuner Studio but am finding the instructions missing some detail on what settings are and are pitched at someone who has more than a basic understanding of MS. Is very hard for someone new to MS with no other support than what is provided on this forum.

Thanks

Garry
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3X Setup

Post by DaveEFI »

When you load the main software, you get a basic map with it. Set the things individual to your engine - like req fuel and type of ignition etc. If you know your engine's performance data, you can also generate an even closer VE table using TS. If you get all these details correct, you should have no problem getting it running reasonably from the off.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
garrycol
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by garrycol »

Thanks Dave but you know MS and as such know what is important and what is not. i am just trying the follow the setup instructions and having trouble so the original question - do I follow the MS setup instructions or follow the Tunerstudio setup instructions? - sorry but as usual I am totally confused and am close to ditching MS due to poor support and going back to a dizzy and putting a weber on it - or just get the original Thor ECU modified to run standalone .

Confused.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I suggest using the MS setup instruction: the TS instructions should have the same info, but a lot more besides and may overwhelm you.

If you load the "example" project, there is really little that needs to be changed to get the engine to at least fire and run. Tell us the basics of your engine (displacement, number of cylinders, injector flow-rate, number of injectors, fuel type, 2 or 4-stroke) and what type coils and injectors you have along with what MS hardware you have; then I could probably post a mod of the "example" MSQ that would get you in the ball-park. I know, you have already posted that stuff before in other threads, but save me the search... If you already have an MSQ you are working on, post that.

PS: just noticed you have MS3X, got it
garrycol
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by garrycol »

billr wrote:If you load the "example" project, there is really little that needs to be changed to get the engine to at least fire and run. Tell us the basics of your engine (displacement, number of cylinders, injector flow-rate, number of injectors, fuel type, 2 or 4-stroke) and what type coils and injectors you have along with what MS hardware you have; then I could probably post a mod of the "example" MSQ that would get you in the ball-park. I know, you have already posted that stuff before in other threads, but save me the search... If you already have an MSQ you are working on, post that.

PS: just noticed you have MS3X, got it
Thanks for the information - does the MS3 example project work ok on MS3X?

The engine is a Rover 4.6 V8 (4552 cc), injector flow rate is 179, 8 injectors, fuel is petrol, and 4 stroke. Not sure of coil type but are off a Ford Fiesta (I think - were in the Thor MS kit I bought) - injectors are the standard Bosch injectors - hi res. I dont have any MSQs as yet - just trying to follow the setup instructions.

Cheers

Garry
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

OK, that's a good start on the info needed. We must know the crank trigger wheel pattern (and cam, if used); and more info on the ignition coils. How many coils: 1, 4 or 8? Do the coils have built-in drivers? What Fiesta year and engine are they off of, that may be enough to tell about them.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

garrycol wrote:Thanks Dave but you know MS and as such know what is important and what is not. i am just trying the follow the setup instructions and having trouble so the original question - do I follow the MS setup instructions or follow the Tunerstudio setup instructions? - sorry but as usual I am totally confused and am close to ditching MS due to poor support and going back to a dizzy and putting a weber on it - or just get the original Thor ECU modified to run standalone .

Confused.
Ah. I didn't have any help with my first MS but managed OK, using the MS manual, which I had printed out the relevant bits from and read a few times. Is it one particular bit which is confusing or just all of it? I do understand the terminology used is a bit foreign at first - it was with me..

When I was at work, and a new bit of gear arrived, a member of the department would often write what we called an 'idiot guide' to save others having to wade through a complex manual which was often far too complex for how we'd use the gear. I dunno if anyone has done the same for MS. The problem being every MS installation is different - unlike buying a new bit of sound gear.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
garrycol
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by garrycol »

Thanks to everyone who has provided help and comment in an effort to assist me in this project.

I really don't have the time or energy to continue on what was supposed to be a straight forward project so I have decided to suspend work on this and shift to working on restoration of another car I have which does not involve MS. When that is completed in a few years I might come back to this or just pay someone to put on an off the shelf plug and play system.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Cheers

Garry
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I doubt you'll find anyone who males a plug and play system for the Thor version of the RV8. Why? Because the original has decent Motronic injection - and isn't going to give anything like the same benefits with MS as it does to an earlier RV8. And most using an RV8 engine on a different vehicle opt for the earlier inlet system as it produces more power - the Thor was specifically designed by BMW for 4x4 use only, with the emphasis on low end rather than peak BHP.

Of course you might well find someone to fit aftermarket injection to one. But it won't be strictly plug and play. Just you'll be paying someone to do the work, rather than DIY.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
garrycol
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by garrycol »

There are a few from the US that use a different manifold that are plug and play and self tuning. They only control injection and may not have the control and setup of a MS but I do not have a race car.

In any case by the time I come back to this, complete new systems may be on the market.

Cheers

Garry