loss sync error

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Davek
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: loss sync error

Post by Davek »

MLV uncheck RPM OK now.
With timing set fixed at 10 degrees. Timing light on #6 is at 190 degrees. 180 off where it should be. How is this possible?
#4 timing right at 10 degrees. But pulling #4 injector connector or COP connector has no affect on RPM.

something weird going on here?
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

Davek wrote:Back again. Sorry for so long posting.
Installed new CAS. Engine started better. TS dash shows CAM fault but Composite log looks good. Cylinder #6 &4 is my problem.
The engine will idle now on 4 cylinders---this is a straight 6 L28ET
Test mode shows injectors & COP work fine. I moved both injectors and COP to other cylinders and problem does not follow. Cylinder compression is fine.
#6 plug is black. #4 not as bad but is dark. Brand new plugs.
It acts like timing is off on these 2 cylinders. This is not possible is it? firing order confirmed.
new composite log & msq
getting desperate
Dave
Are you sure that the OEM ignition sequence is the same as the MS system does ?
And the way of cillinder numbering is the same ?
When you started whit a new harness you mixed up some wires, are you sure the ignition wires for #4 and #6 are right ?

When an injector fires at the wrong time a engine at idle will run.
Davek
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Davek »

Ignition sequence verified.
In test mode the COP's fire as they should same with the injectors. This test confirms MS is firing the correct cylinders. It does not prove MS is firing at the correct time.
I have checked timing on #1, #4 & #6. Little reason the check #2 ,3 & 5 as they are firing properly and create miss when injector or COP connector is removed.
I will check this if someone thinks it's worth while.

Should I start a new topic regarding the timing issue? Maybe someone has experienced this in the part.
Davek
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Davek »

I think my brain just kicked in or further out.
#6 cylinder would fire at 10 degrees ATDC same as #1 but out of cycle by 360 degrees from #1.
Cylinder #4 should fire not @ #1 10 ATDC like my timing light indicated. maybe 120 or 240 or something?

re-cap-----#4 light at 10AFTC #6 light at 180 degrees from 10ATDC
Therefore #4 and #6 is out of time. Am I correct Billr.

I will head to the garage and check the other 3 cylinders.
Davek
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Davek »

with timing fixed at 10 degrees

#1 10 degrees
#2 280 degrees
#3 180 degrees
#4 10 degrees
#5 280 degrees
#6 190 degrees

Should be
#1 & #6 10 Degrees ATDC
#2 & #5 280 degrees ATDC
#3 & #4 190 degrees ATDC

Time to come clean:
Before I rewired with new DIYautotune harnesses I was using a 2 wire PWM IAC valve. And was using Pin 30 of the MS harness. There were issues with IAC. I installed the TIP122 per the directions.
Now with the new harnesses I switched to Pin 9 of the MSX harness to control my 2 wire IAC valve. MS assembly Directions say control an idle valve to run a jumper from S12 to C end of D1 on MS3X board. This I did. I did not remove the TIP122 or the wiring.
Could this be a problem not removing the TIP122 wires?
I could easily cut this jumper wire or TIP122 wires.

This should not have affect on timing right?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I have to ignore the TIP122 question, I don't know and don't want to study that mod right now. The following sent me out into the weeds:

"Should be
#1 & #6 10 Degrees ATDC
#2 & #5 280 degrees ATDC
#3 & #4 190 degrees ATDC"

That is making no sense to me. Your firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4, an even fire inline 6, correct? "Fixed" at 10 means 10 BTDC, not ATDC. I suggest you use 0 for fixed until this is sorted out, less chance of confusion. Is your light a "dial-back" type? They also can lead to confusion, use a simple light if t all possible. I think the firing should be:

1 & 6 at 0 (TDC)
5 & 2 at 240 BTDC
3 & 4 at 120 BTDC

Ignoring the 10 deg difference from the 0 deg I reference and your 10 deg, what am i missing? Why do you think there is spacing of 180 deg and 90/270 deg on the crank throws?
Davek
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Davek »

I ment BTDC
See the crank throw on this picture. It looks like 90 degrees.
I must apologies for wasting all your time.
You and others had given great direction. I wasn't listening correctly. You asked if wired correctly you asked if firing order is correct etc etc.

MS labels spark & injector wires A, B, C, D, E, F I wired them to cylinders 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 instead of firing order. Totally embarrassed. The light bulb finally brightened. Obviously did it correctly 3 years ago but not this time.
I'll get this rewired then I'll see if my old CAS is good or BAD.
thanks fellas.
Attachments
L28 crank.jpg
L28 crank.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 206 times