Issue with engine running

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

hamish_18
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Issue with engine running

Post by hamish_18 »

Hi All,

I have a very strange issue going on here. I am running ms3x in a toyota pickup with a 99 2rz engine in it.
The engine and ECU have been together for over 5 years, with well over 50k miles on it.

the engine, harness, and ecu were swapped in to this pickup about 3 months ago. Lately my buddy has said that the rig will just die on him. warm, or cold, it doesn't matter. And it will just crank, but not start for a while.
I have checked the tune, which worked great for me for years, and checked the wiring. Tested injectors, and spark. All seems to be okay. We did notice that at first the spark test wasn't working. but would then started working after a second. Not sure what was up there. I am at a complete loss. Could it be the crank position sensor at all? I assume if this was on its way out, it could exhibit these conditions? I am attaching the tune and a log. There is a mark in the log. Just prior to that it was running, and then died on it's own. There is an attempt to start it just after the manual mark as well.

Thanks.
Attachments
CurrentTune12-22-2017.msq
Current Tune
(275.07 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
2017-12-21_17.54.38.msl
Log
(708.51 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Issue with engine running

Post by Matt Cramer »

You're getting a steady RPM signal as the engine cuts out, which implies the crank sensor is working fine. Try backing down the dwell - I'm wondering if the coils' internal ignition modules are overheating.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
hamish_18
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hamish_18 »

Hi Matt,

These COP's have been on this engine for over a year running in the original rig. The dwell hasn't been touched. I guess over time they have gotten older, and now they can't handle the dwell?

Thanks, Chris
hamish_18
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hamish_18 »

Hi all,

Figured out the issue. So the main positive wire going from the body harness to engine harness out to like the COP's injectors, pretty much everything was not making a good connection. Not sure why, but bending the male pin appears to have fixed the issue. He has not had it die on him since. So chalk it up to crappy toyota main harness plugs I guess? lol.

ISSUE RESOLVED.