MS3X No spark

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tryggx
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3X No spark

Post by Tryggx »

I´m having a little trouble getting my car to spark
the car hasn´t started with this setup so i´m wondering if i´m missing anything
Using MS3 with a MS3x board
ms3x spark outputs connected to Quadspark which fires a IGN 6 all purchased from DIYautotune.com
using spark outputs a-b-c
what i know so far is..
spark output set to going high
Wasted spark
hardware set to MS3X spark
double checked that the wiring is correct as per instructions from DIYautotune and it checks out
the battery is fully charged
i get just under 200rpm cranking speed and it´s fully synched (i think)
i also get no spark in test mode,
did a little googling and found out that i can´t measure the signal from the MS3X when it´s going high, (because the voltmeter can´t pick it up)
unless i set it to going low and then i should get 5V, measured spark output A directly from the board on pin 14 (with the DB37 disconnected)
and i get 5V from there. so that tells me that the MS3X is working correctly
i tested the main board with a jimstim before putting it in the car and every seemed to be working.
put all ground connections to the head of the engine
measured voltage at the IGN 6 and it gets battery voltage on all pins (don´t know if that´s normal)
attached a current MSQ.
i´m beginning to think that the Quadspark is defective or that i´m an idiot and i´m missing something.
any help is greatly appreciated
NoSpark.msq
(274.36 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Tryggx
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: MS3X No spark

Post by Tryggx »

The quadspark needs a 0-5v signal to work right?
Measured the spark output again in test mode and when spark output
Is set to going high i get a voltage reading of 0.02volts which is about the same as if i put the grounding probe on my finger.
But when spark output is set to going low i get 4.87v
According to DIYautotune the spark output is supposed be set to going high for the quadspark work or It will overheat.
Wondering of this is normal.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

with going high the voltage only stays high (5v) for the amount of time the dwell is set for. you would need a scope to read it a meter will just read some random value.

with you getting about 5v going low it sounds like the ecu is working.

if you set the dwell and output interval to say 10ms for both without the coil connected i think you should read about 2.5v with a meter
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Tryggx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tryggx »

grom_e30 wrote:with going high the voltage only stays high (5v) for the amount of time the dwell is set for. you would need a scope to read it a meter will just read some random value.

with you getting about 5v going low it sounds like the ecu is working.

if you set the dwell and output interval to say 10ms for both without the coil connected i think you should read about 2.5v with a meter
Okay that's good news, i'm assuming you mean try setting the dwell time 10ms for both high and low, i will
Try that.
I should get spark in test mode even if the ms3 isn't synched, right?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Correct, sync is not needed to test the spark in test mode. You can even go one step simpler, use the "I/O 2" testing. there you can set the spark outputs in either a static high or low, easy to read with a meter. Do be sure to read the warning at the bottom of that page, that testing is best done with the coils disconnected!