MS3Pro Gen 1 and Coyote with VVT

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

88GT
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3Pro Gen 1 and Coyote with VVT

Post by 88GT »

I will be running a Coyote with VVT. I will be adapting the stock engine harness to the MS3 harness and splitting it up by left and right bank on the engine and connectors on the firewall for easy install and uninstall of the engine without having to pull the harness off. I have been reading around on here for the installs on the Coyote engines, but I am wanting to help clear a few things up.

On the engine there are two hall cam sensors and two VR cam sensors. One of the VR sensors can go directly into the MS3Pro computer under CMP+/-, and the other VR will need to be wired to a VR conditioner and put into one of the 0-5V digital inputs on the computer. The other two hall sensors will be able to go into two other 0-5V digital inputs on the computer also correct? Is there a preference for running all VR or all hall sensors or a mixture of the two? If I was to use the VR conditioner, I would need to put that inline on the engine side of the harness, correct?

For the cam phasers, they will need to have a 1k resistor on them to reduce the noise, correct? On the MS3Pro computer, both intake cam phasers will go into one of the PWM out pins and then the two exhaust will go into the other PWM out pins on the computer. Or does each cam phaser need its own input on the computer, and if so where on the MS3Pro Gen 1 computer?

One of the PWM outs, I will use for the IAC. I will also be using the Holley Sniper intake and TB, so I will need to use and wire in the GM IAC and TPS.

I am still deciding on whether I want to use MAF or a MAP sensor. I saw that it was mentioned before that MAF was necessary for VVT tuning.

I also already have the Quad Sparks to run the stock coils.

Also, any input and pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3Pro Gen 1 and Coyote with VVT

Post by Matt Cramer »

88GT wrote:I will be running a Coyote with VVT. I will be adapting the stock engine harness to the MS3 harness and splitting it up by left and right bank on the engine and connectors on the firewall for easy install and uninstall of the engine without having to pull the harness off. I have been reading around on here for the installs on the Coyote engines, but I am wanting to help clear a few things up.

On the engine there are two hall cam sensors and two VR cam sensors. One of the VR sensors can go directly into the MS3Pro computer under CMP+/-, and the other VR will need to be wired to a VR conditioner and put into one of the 0-5V digital inputs on the computer. The other two hall sensors will be able to go into two other 0-5V digital inputs on the computer also correct? Is there a preference for running all VR or all hall sensors or a mixture of the two? If I was to use the VR conditioner, I would need to put that inline on the engine side of the harness, correct?
Yes, that works exactly how you think it does.
For the cam phasers, they will need to have a 1k resistor on them to reduce the noise, correct? On the MS3Pro computer, both intake cam phasers will go into one of the PWM out pins and then the two exhaust will go into the other PWM out pins on the computer. Or does each cam phaser need its own input on the computer, and if so where on the MS3Pro Gen 1 computer?
Each phaser needs its own output. No resistors are needed. As the MS3Pro only has three PWM outputs, the last one will need to use a high current output with a 1N4001 diode added across the phaser, banded end to 12V supply.
One of the PWM outs, I will use for the IAC. I will also be using the Holley Sniper intake and TB, so I will need to use and wire in the GM IAC and TPS.
GM IACs will be steppers. The code does not allow using the stepper IAC valve and a PWM IAC valve at the same time.
I am still deciding on whether I want to use MAF or a MAP sensor. I saw that it was mentioned before that MAF was necessary for VVT tuning.
You can tune on either one, although the MAF will automatically account for changes in VE with the cam tuning.
I also already have the Quad Sparks to run the stock coils.
That's the easiest way to accomplish this.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
88GT
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 88GT »

Thank you very much for the input. On the one cam phaser with the diode, you would just put that diode in line of the 12V signal from the phaser to the computer correct?

Also, on the MAF, I do not need one specific for say 52# injectors, because you can adjust all that through tuning if I went up or down on injectors and use the same MAF?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The diode installs in parallel. Banded end to 12V and non banded end to ECU output.

You will need a MAF that's big enough for your air flow numbers and one you can get the calibration curve for. The "MAF calibrated to an injector size" is a very lazy version of stock Ford ECU "tuning".
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
88GT
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 88GT »

Gotcha. That makes sense. I was looking at PMAS and they have a transfer function generating tool in an excel file that allows you to put the size your the tube the MAF will be in and it gives you data to input into your tuning software. That's what you mean by calibration curve correct?

Edit: Here is the link for the Excel file that they provide.

http://www.pmas-maf.com/resources/PMASHPXTOOL2014_2.xls
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

just get a lightning maf, good to about 500hp and ms has an calibration for it