A few questions about fuel pump pwm

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

techno
MS/Extra Newbie

A few questions about fuel pump pwm

Post by techno »

Hello! I have several questions about connecting a fuel system with PWM pump control on ms3pro evo

I want to use a Ford FPDM unit to control two 380lph pumps. Explain how to properly connect the wires to ms3? I read a lot of posts about the pull-up resistor, but English is not my native language, I can not understand the sequence of connections.

Will this module suit me? and if it's not difficult to draw a diagram with wiring on ms3
goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: A few questions about fuel pump pwm

Post by goodysgotacuda »

Tagging. I have set this up on an arduino successfully.

You are aware of the 50% duty cycle and frequency requirements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - 5.7L Hemi w/T56 Magnum

MS3 Gold Box, TunerStudio MS/MegaLogViewerHD user
techno
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by techno »

goodysgotacuda wrote:Tagging. I have set this up on an arduino successfully.

You are aware of the 50% duty cycle and frequency requirements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know that the block multiplies% of the load, but did not understand about arduino ... Perhaps it would be easier to use a solid state relay? In any case, I need an approximate connection scheme, so far I can not figure it out using the translation
goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by goodysgotacuda »

Here is what I know..
FPDM - Pin chart as tested.JPG
FPDM - Pin chart as tested.JPG (118.26 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
I ran a bulb and fan off of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7-KgCiqUbQ
Attachments
Draft1 - FPDM Wiring Schematic.PNG
Draft1 - FPDM Wiring Schematic.PNG (899.24 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - 5.7L Hemi w/T56 Magnum

MS3 Gold Box, TunerStudio MS/MegaLogViewerHD user
vw_chuck
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by vw_chuck »

Dude run a Dorman 902-310 SSR. It is a 40 amp solid state relay. Low side drive just like a normal relay. None of that Ford clusterfuck above.
techno
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by techno »

and yet which scheme is better to use?

if ssr, then how to connect control - + or -?
Attachments
111.jpg
111.jpg (39.52 KiB) Viewed 2024 times
vw_chuck
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by vw_chuck »

The SSR I posted uses lowside drive or negative control. Just like a normal relay.
techno
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by techno »

This is the right scheme? I heard that I need to add a diode, but I can not understand where. Mark the missing items on the diagram pls
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (249.96 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
mjhughesgt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mjhughesgt »

vw_chuck wrote:Dude run a Dorman 902-310 SSR. It is a 40 amp solid state relay. Low side drive just like a normal relay. None of that Ford clusterfuck above.
I recently bought on of these, and I'd like to confirm the wiring to the MS. Do you send +12v to the signal wire, and then let the MS PWM the ground side? Really, I'd just like to make sure that the module isn't expecting +5v. Would hate to burn it out. Thanks.
65 Mustang Fastback. Windsor 5.0 h/c/i. t5z. MS3x 3.57 w/ knock, LS coils, PWM fan, PWM fuel pump. MSCAN_gauge.
8 years into a two year resto-mod. Target running date 3/5/2018. Target date for mechanical completion 6/30/2018.
vw_chuck
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by vw_chuck »

You just hook up I believe pin 4 to the MS fuel pump signal and pin 3 just gets hooked to ground. There is NO 12vdc needed.
OkayDriver
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by OkayDriver »

One benefit of the Ford FPDM is that you give it a 150Hz PWM signal and it does the actual switching of the device (fuel pump in this case) at 10kHz PWM.
mjhughesgt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mjhughesgt »

Thank you vw_chuck. You are correct! For the Dorman 902-310 module:
pin 1 - Fused +12V
pin 2 - Output to load
pin 3 - ground
pin 4 - Control wire (Megasquirt PWM to ground)
65 Mustang Fastback. Windsor 5.0 h/c/i. t5z. MS3x 3.57 w/ knock, LS coils, PWM fan, PWM fuel pump. MSCAN_gauge.
8 years into a two year resto-mod. Target running date 3/5/2018. Target date for mechanical completion 6/30/2018.
OkayDriver
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by OkayDriver »

Just as a follow-up on this, if you have a MS3Pro you can hook the Ford FPDM up to one of the Stepper outputs (either Stepper 1A or 2A should work fine with "Normal" polarity selected). The Stepper outputs will drive to +12V and ground to generate the required square wave. I bench tested this setup and it worked great with no pull-up resistors required. I thought that the Tach output might work as well, but I didn't have much luck with it. Anyway, depending on the resistance of the pull-up on the Tach output the Stepper outputs will probably allow less noise at the FPDM on the receiving end anyway (since they likely have a lower source impedance than the Tach output when it's pulled up to 12V).

I set the PWM fuel pump control with the following parameters:
Output: Stepper Out 1
Output Frequency: 150Hz (verified from stock Ford control signal)
Output Polarity: Normal (probably want to reverse this if using Stepper 1B or Stepper 2B)
Off Duty %: 75%
Minimum Duty %: 5%
Maximum Duty %: 50%

Also, for bench testing you can change the "Off Duty %" on the fly to whatever value you want and see the Ford FPDM do it's thing if you hook an 12V lamp, LED, motor, or whatever to the output of the FPDM.

Now if only I could figure out how to disassemble the silly FPDM connector without breaking it. I tried remove the white face piece and the terminals with my terminal removal set, but didn't have any luck without taking a risk of breaking something inside there. I'd like to locate the part numbers for the terminals they use so I can build a harness with new crimped on connectors instead of splicing into the stock pigtail I cut from the salvage yard...
IMG_1350.jpg
IMG_1350.jpg (63.39 KiB) Viewed 1540 times