R8 on the daughterboard

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

thokes82
Helpful MS/Extra'er

R8 on the daughterboard

Post by thokes82 »

Hi, is it correct that R8 is the CAN termination resistor on the MS3? I am asking before I remove it...
regards, Thomas
Race car building documentation: www.kessel.tk (nice pics but only german laguage so far...)
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: R8 on the daughterboard

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That looks correct but it would be better to have a confirmation from a developer. However, why do you want to remove it from the MS3? I assume you have more than one CAN device on the bus you're using but that seems like the wrong place to remove the termination resistor. The ECU will always be on the bus so it should be one of the end points.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

I actually came across a bike where there was a simple 125KBps bus, ECU <-> ABS. Neither of them had a termination resistor but there were probably closer than 30cm away, wiring-wise. In this case, the termination resistor on the MS3 daughterboard prevented communication between the MS3 and the ABS unit (the stock ECU was removed). As soon as I removed the resistor, comms were restored.
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Reverant wrote:I actually came across a bike where there was a simple 125KBps bus, ECU <-> ABS. Neither of them had a termination resistor but there were probably closer than 30cm away, wiring-wise. In this case, the termination resistor on the MS3 daughterboard prevented communication between the MS3 and the ABS unit (the stock ECU was removed). As soon as I removed the resistor, comms were restored.
That is strange and it definitely is not compliant with the CAN bus standards.
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
thokes82
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by thokes82 »

I have got multiple devices indeed. I have got an ECUmaster PMU on one end with termination activated and then an ECUmaster keyboard, an 8fold EGT module (ecumaster), a racetechnology dash+ datalogger, a steeringwheel module (ecumaster), and at the very other end a analog board for diff and gearbox temps with termination again. Wiring loom wise this does simply not work with the termination inside ms3...
Race car building documentation: www.kessel.tk (nice pics but only german laguage so far...)