MS3 Pro Evo input questions

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Locashlester
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3 Pro Evo input questions

Post by Locashlester »

Hi!
A little background, I'm new to the whole EFI deal. Well versed in tuning carburetors with turbo-NOS, drag racer for over 30 years. My weapon of choice is Aircooled VW's! I purchased a MS3 Evo recently for my tube chassis street/drag car and have a couple of questions:
1: I'm using launch control, transbrake (using it as a clutch solenoid control) as well as the line lock function. I'm wanting to use the same input to activate the launch control, trans brake and line lock. You are able to choose "same as launch" in the transbrake section but that doesn't appear in the line lock section. Is it possible to choose the same input for the line lock and launch control, will it work?
2: The transbrake output I'm able to choose a PWM, is it possible to adjust the PWM output? I'm wanting to use it to control the clutch release solenoid and make it adjustable instead of a mechanical needle valve adjustment. If so, where would I look in tuner studio to be able to adjust the PWM?

I'm steadily working on figuring out my wiring as well as setting up a file in tuner studio. Any insight you can give me is greatly appreciated.
Lester
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 Pro Evo input questions

Post by wes kiser »

To clarify, this is obviously a manual transmission car, correct?

Perhaps I am unfamiliar with what people are doing with VW's, but using solenoids on clutch release is certainly different than what I am used to seeing. Could you elaborate a little on the actual mechanical/hydraulic setup? My experience with what people successfully do with hydraulic (and mechanical with "hillbilly slipper") type setups generally doesn't include a solenoid.

The transbrake software functionaly really doesn't do what you want for the clutch solenoid. Assuming it is usefully controllable hydraulically with a PWM, I assume what you would want would be to set up a generic PWM off the launch timer. I personally think you would be better off handling it hydraulically with bypass/checks/restrictors, but generic PWM based on launch timer would be the "best" thing for what I think you are trying to accomplish.

You then could use the transbrake functionality for the line lock. Select "same as launch" and be done.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

A diagram of what you are trying to do would go a long way. You can use the loops feature to turn outputs on/off with some extra criteria and I think that would work better for the clutch release.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
Locashlester
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Locashlester »

Wes, yes its a manual trans, I use a CO2 system with a 12v solenoid and hydraulic air ram. My usual way of setup is line lock, two step and solenoid on clutch ram all armed off of a single button on the steering wheel. Release button, clutch releases, limiter goes to high side and line lock releases. Makes reaction times very repeatable. I’ve set the “speed” of release of the clutch with a needle valve on the air cylinder. It’s hard to dial it in for different track conditions as well as a sportsman or pro tree quickly. I’m wanting to be able to have adjustability/repeatability easily at the track.

Paul, the loops feature, is it just on/off? I’m thinking a PWM would work because I’m wanting to control the “speed” of release by pulsing the solenoid and being able to change the frequency easily at the track would make dialing in easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Locashlester
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Locashlester »

Just to give an update! I've figured it out..........on paper anyway. About to start wiring the car, hopefully will know if my idea will work soon.
Lester
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Post up a diagram, sounds like an interesting device.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!