MS3X cam sensor ground

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

flatbill
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3X cam sensor ground

Post by flatbill »

I am upgrading a MS2 version 3 setup to MS3X. I am at the point of building the harnesses to hook up to my motor. In the hardware manual for the MS3X wiring it shows " the black lead from the hall effect sensor should be hooked to the ground connection on the main db37 plug". I may be making this more complicated than it is, but, if this means that I hook it up to the regular MS3 connector on the main board is there a common method used to make this connection. If I can hook it up to one of the ground pins in the MS3X harness it is easy. If I need to hook to the main board db37 it gets trickier. If that is necessary I have thought of running it through the MS3X harness to pin 17 and making a jumper to a main board ground. I may be wrong but it looks like pin 17 on the MS3 board is not tied to anything.

Or am I just causing myself more trouble.

I have the MS3X set up and mocked up with the jimstim and the stimX with my Fast dual sync distributor inputing signals and all seems fine running on TS.

Thanks, Billk
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3X cam sensor ground

Post by Matt Cramer »

You will want to use the main board DB37 for sensor grounds. The MS3X ground planes require using all the ground wires as power grounds.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Bigcam
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Bigcam »

Matt, am I correct in assuming he could connect the ground to any of pins 8 - 14 on the mainboard DB37.
Nissan D21 Stock D/Driver
Nissan D22 KA24DET MS3X, gtx3076, Kelford cams, 950cc injectors, LS1 coils, custom manifold & exhaust.
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Yes, use a mainboard ground. I usually just use a single dedicated sensor return from the engine back to the board. Then the rest to the main ground point.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
flatbill
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by flatbill »

I think I have figured this out. The fast dual sync distributor has 4 wires. One 12V, one ground, one crank sensor and one cam sensor. It looks like both sensors use the same ground connection. So the wire diagram shows the crank sensor the ground going to pin 1 on the MS3 main connector. That puts the ground for both sensors going to the main board pin 1. The cam sensor will go to the MS3X db37 but the ground will be through the MS3 main db37 connector. Any problems with looking at it this way?

I have some wire with the foil wrap for shielding and plan to use this with the shield grounded only at the MS3 end.

Thanks, Billk
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Grounding the CMP signal via the mainboard will probably work OK; it certainly won't damage anything. You don't have a convenient way to provide a separate ground from that dizzy, so give it a try.
flatbill
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by flatbill »

Thanks to all for the help. I think I'm on my way now. Billk