MS3ProEvo can't connect

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jmonroe
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3ProEvo can't connect

Post by jmonroe »

This is my first time working with a Megasquirt, so I'm trying to do a bit of setup before I put the thing in the car. Right now I have it on my bench with +12volt, and all the grounds wired to a battery. No sensors or other wires are connected to anything. I cannot get a computer to connect to the MS. I have tried all three USB ports on one laptop, and the four USB and two serial ports on another laptop. I have updated the USB drives using the one on DIYAutotune's website. When I run portcheck, it will find a valid COM port, but will not make connection.

Do I need to connect anything other than power and ground, or is this just a computer issue?

Thanks for the help,
Joel
jmonroe
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: MS3ProEvo can't connect

Post by jmonroe »

I have now also tried using a USB to serial adapter with no avail.

I checked the pins on the four pin serial plug that should have 5VDC. I am only getting 2.9V. I do have 13.2V input power. Any chance there is a faulty transformer? I have not opened the case to see just how it's built in there.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Have you contacted DIY directly? I'm surprised Matt C seems to have missed this thread, but now that you have "bumped" it he won't see it until Monday. Let's hope he joins in then.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It should connect if just given power and ground. Are all three green LEDs on when it is powered up?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jmonroe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jmonroe »

Matt, yes I am getting the three green lights. I am also getting the red light. Out of curiosity, I checked the VREF wire, and I'm only getting about 3 volts from it just like on the serial plug.

Thanks,
Joel
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Does the VREF voltage change if you disconnect everything on the VREF wire?
jmonroe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jmonroe »

I don't have anything hooked to VREF right now. I just took the factory heat shrink off the end of the wire to put a meter on it.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Please email me at support@ampefi.com with details about this order. I'd like to send this one back to look at it.