Timing is stuck, can't change it

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Kjell
MS/Extra Newbie

Timing is stuck, can't change it

Post by Kjell »

BMW 535 e28, I have just fired up the engine with the Megasquirt 3 and it's idling smooth and everything looked fine but then I checked the timing with a strobe and could see that I was unable to change the timing. I have put the timing in fixed and changing the values but with the strobe nothing is changing but on the gauge in TS I can see that it's changing. I have tried to change the timing in Spark table as well without any success. I have also another strange thing when I'm setting the tooth angle, I calculated the tooth angle to be 87 degrees and that's about correct according to the forum on that engine but I have to put it to 131 to get the TBC. I have a single coil and 60-2 trigger wheel with VR sensor.
Kjell
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Timing is stuck, can't change it

Post by Kjell »

Hi

I found the fault, I had to change "spark hardware in use" from MS3x to LEDs. I did not thought it was possible to get a spark if that was set to the wrong output. Another question, if I use spark A on the expansion card can I use a standard coil there or is that just for a logic coil ?
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Logic coils or you can run a BIP ignitor, not direct to coil.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Kjell
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Kjell »

Thanks !