Inconsistent AFR near idle

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dpstark2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Inconsistent AFR near idle

Post by dpstark2 »

Hi all,

I have tried tuning this issue myself in a number of ways, but I always end up in the same situation. Note that the car doesn't have a great tune in it, but it's generally good. Starting up, warm-up enrichment keeps my AFR in a reasonable range for the motor (225 /6 in my 72 Dart). By the time I get down the road and the motor gets to temperature, my AFR swings way lean (15-16:1). At this point, underhood temps are still pretty low. By the time I get to work some 10 minutes later, the AFR is more rich than I'd like it (12:1). At this point, underhood temps usually approach 125F or more on hot days.

I have tried the MAT/CLT blend, limited tuning to nice low underhood temps, etc. All end up in the same situation, so I am wondering at this point if I'm missing something. The current configuration has the blend to almost 100% near idle, rapidly coming off that by the time I'm cruising at a low speed. AFRs here are good.

In the attached log, you can see what I am describing. At 77s, I have reached the end of my main street and sat at idle for a bit. at about 213s, I'm down the road at a stop light and the motor is up to temp but I get about 16:1. By the end (884s) I'm parked at work and back down to 12.8:1.

Any ideas what I'm missing here? My other car does similar stuff but rarely sees this big of a swing and I haven't used the blend table at all with it. I hesitate to mess with the air density table because that affects everything and this seems limited to idle/low RPMs. I could raise the "warm" temperature, but the car sometimes doesn't stabilize above ~170F in the winter. I just feel like I'm missing something someone with more experience might know.

Thanks!
Attachments
2018-01-17_16.29.20.msq
Tune
(284.24 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
2018-01-17_15.31.36.zip
unzip for log
(612.31 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
SwedCharger-67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Inconsistent AFR near idle

Post by SwedCharger-67 »

When your engine is up to temp the EGO correction switches off below 1300 rpms, and engine goes a bit rich.
Might be a good idea to disable "include AFR target", disable EGO correction and fine tune the VE table a bit closer to ideal values. :)
Martin, Sweden
Mopar 512 cui, 8.4 liters, high compression, fuel E85, full sequential control by MS3X, burning rubber just blipping the throttle... :D
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Can be worth setting all the VE table cells round about idle to the same value, group them, and trim for the best idle.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
dpstark2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dpstark2 »

I've done both of these things, but that doesn't mean I did them correctly. So the opinion is that my VE tables are the culprit?

My main question is why the same conditions result in 16:1 AFR with the motor at 170F and MAT near 70F, but 12 or 13:1 when the motor is 175F and the MAT is more like 120F. I know nothing is perfect, but I would expect that the AFR wouldn't vary this much. I've gone the route of tuning the VE table with the car hot, but that results in a too-lean-to-run condition when the warm-up enrichment turns off. To even get it to run that way, the warm-up table had to be turned way up. Going the other of tuning as soon as the motor is up to temp but MAT is low, I get too-rich-to-run conditions after driving a while. And higher RPMs seem unaffected. This is why I focused on the MAT/CLT blend for a while, but nothing I've done there has fixed the issue. It got me closer- the swing is now 12 to 16:1, rather than 10 to 17:1.

I've also checked fuel pressure, which seems consistent (hard to do with a gauge under the hood).