MS3x boost control TPS vs Gear target

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Nightstalker1993
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3x boost control TPS vs Gear target

Post by Nightstalker1993 »

Hi all, just getting around tuning closed loop boost control and I see there is the TPS target boost and also boost by gear. At first I assumed that the boost by gear will just be the upper limit but it will still behave according to the TPS target table, but after experimenting for abit, it looks like above the set TPS(I set 10% TPS, so basically meaning at all times of boost), the target boost is strictly the set boost by gear number and the TPS table is totally disregarded, am I correct? Currently I set boost by gear with 1st gear 150kpa, 2nd gear and above 180kpa

I noticed this as even the datalog mentioned target boost is at 180kpa instead of following the TPS target. If possible I would suggest instead using the boost by gear as a maximum cap and still use the TPS target at all times
Attachments
2018-01-19_15-27-52.zip
At 321s you can see at 30% TPS it is targetting 180kpa
(474.28 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
2018-01-19_18.29.31.msq
(272.33 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Nightstalker1993
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3x boost control TPS vs Gear target

Post by Nightstalker1993 »

Hi, just to bump this post up, any thoughts on this James?

Currently with the boost by gear activated, on partial throttle it still targets maximum boost, which causes boost spikes if i was taking a smooth turn with partial throttle and partial boost then went WOT, also would really love to dial in boost by TPS nicely so that the throttle will be more linear in terms of power output. Also sometimes when I am part-throttling, with the system targetting a boost pressure that it cannot physically achieve at part throttle, but with boost above the lower limit delta, closed loop kicks in and tries to raise the boost level by increasing the duty, but physically it cannot achieve it at that particular TPS position and the DC continues to rise, and when I give it more throttle, the boost overshoots immediately until the overboost protection kicks in.

Basically, I would suggest implemanting the boost by gear feature as just a ceiling limit for boost without completely overwriting the boost by TPS table as the closed loop boost control feature works best with the boost by TPS table calibrated properly, but with the boost by gear overwriting it completely, it behaves unpredictably at times. Currently I use boost by gear as wastegate pressure is just the right boost level for 1st gear, any more and the tires will break traction and wheelspin.

Also talking about overboost protection, I remember in a very old firmware version we have the option to set the cut x sparks per y event for overboost protection only. I would really like if that feature is introduced again as currently when the overboost protection kicks in it is very violent and is like hitting a wall whereas if the cut x by y event for overboost is adjusted properly, it will feel more like hitting a soft rev limiter instead of potentially breaking my engine mounts.

Thanks