No Signal from Cam and Crank Sensors

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MadOTC
MS/Extra Newbie

No Signal from Cam and Crank Sensors

Post by MadOTC »

I'm in the process of building an MS3 controlled, sequential injected small block Chevy, and i'm having trouble getting a signal from either the cam or crank sensors. I'm using a Vortec hall effect sensor distributor, and a Fast 4 tooth crank trigger kit (301280). I have both wired up to the 5V power source from the MS box. Can someone let me know what settings I should be using in TunerStudio for these? I'm not seeing any signal at all from them in the loggers. Thanks.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No Signal from Cam and Crank Sensors

Post by billr »

Post your MSQ. Do you have any info on that FAST crank sensor? I did a quick search and didn't find any, save me the trouble of looking more thoroughly.
MadOTC
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MadOTC »

MSQ file is attached. Thanks for the help,
Attachments
MadOTC_Initial_Tune.msq
(272.27 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Alas, I spent more time looking for info on that FAST crank sensor, but couldn't fin any. I can help any without knowing what it is.

Frankly, that 4-tooth crank wheel is rather primitive; not much better than a "basic trigger" signal from the dizzy itself. I would return it and shop for a system that uses a 36-1 or 60-2 missing-tooth wheel. Or, if you can fab the bracket for the sensor, a wheel and sensor from DIY is less than $100.
TurboBob
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by TurboBob »

if the part number for the crank trigger kit is accurate, its a 2-wire inductive sensor,

Can you confirm how you wired 5v to it, and/or post some pictures?

however, I agree that having (many) more teeth on the trigger wheel is a better solution.

Bob
MadOTC
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MadOTC »

I have both the cam and crank sensors powered from the 5v source that powers the TPS, and I have verified that they are getting power. Yea, I can't seem to find much information posted online about that crank sensor either. Apparently it's not that popular. Is there anything in the config that seems off? I should be getting something from these two sensors. Thanks.
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/crank-t ... ancerhtml/
The sensor does not require power, it is a VR sensor.
I agree, you would be better off with a 36-1 wheel instead of this overpriced, caveman approach to a trigger wheel.
MadOTC
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MadOTC »

OK, well it sounds like would probably benefit me in the long run to get a 36-1 wheel for the crank. Any idea why my cam sensor is not sending a signal?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

It wasn't clear to me if that "inductive" in the FAST sales blurb meant VR or a tuned inductive field like commercial inductive prox sensors. But, yeah, the 2-wire connection sure hints at VR. There should be no connection to power (5V or other) if it is VR. OP, how did you determine that 5V needed to be connected to the sensor?

As to the cam, get it up-and-running with the 36-1 (no cam signal needed) and then let's go on from there