Coolant sensor reading not right

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jimbo70
MS/Extra Newbie

Coolant sensor reading not right

Post by Jimbo70 »

MS3 Gold Box Firmware 1.4.1

I'm having an issue with the coolant temp reading constantly at 180 degrees. I've tried 3 different known good sensors and no change. I have also tried changing the value in settings and I either get 0 degrees or 180, with nothing in between. I Had this problem last Thursday when I first tried starting the engine and also had a missing cam signal. Unplugging the connections at the box and plugging them back in solved both issues and engine started and got to operating temp and ran for 20 minutes or so while doing some adjustments.

Went to start today and got Tuner Studio up and noticed coolant temp back at 180 degrees with engine cold. I know the sensor is good. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with this. I unplugged and re-connected the connection at the box thinking it might be the same thing going on as last week.

Thanks in advance.
Jimbo70
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Coolant sensor reading not right

Post by Jimbo70 »

So here is an update on the coolant temp issue I was having.

It turns out that an aftermarket gauge was getting its signal from the same temp sensor that the ECU was getting. I'm assuming that the gauge was affecting the resistance reading of the sensor and, in turn, affecting the temp reading that the ECU was seeing. I should have looked for that from the beginning but I guess that goes to show that sometimes we overlook the simple things.

I hope this helps someone in the future. For now I'll just call it a learning experience :roll: