No start VW 1.8T

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

drivesport
MS/Extra Newbie

No start VW 1.8T

Post by drivesport »

I for the life of me cannot start my VW 1.8T race car running the Megasquirt ms3x. I put the car away in storage which was running without issue for two years and subsequently used the MS3 on another vehicle and in the meantime completed a firmware upgrade. All MS hardware changes have been made to accomodate crank and cam sensors. After connecting back to the VW I cannot get it to start. I have no sync loss on cranking, receive both crank and cam signal, I have fuel pressure, checked the outputs for coils and injectors and everything seems ok mechnically, and engine timing is correct mechanically. Mighty puzzled, and/or stupid.

Attached is a composite logger file and my msq file.

Thank you as always MS forum.
2018-02-06_12.12.56.csv
(126.59 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
2018-02-07_10.13.17.msq
(273.45 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
vw_chuck
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: No start VW 1.8T

Post by vw_chuck »

Is it cold out where you are at? Had a similar issue in the cold on my car. Too much fueling on cold start and the plugs pretty much instantly fouled. Change your plugs and reduce your fueling at colder temps.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Have you: tried "wasted COP"? checked spark timing with a light? tried disabling fuel and use starting fluid?
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

If you are using the later cam sensor, there were changes with how the poll level trigger is configured.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
drivesport
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by drivesport »

billr wrote:Have you: tried "wasted COP"? checked spark timing with a light? tried disabling fuel and use starting fluid?
I initially tried Wasted COP but with no luck and then I re-installed the firmware but started off with a fresh tune from scratch and the car immediately sputtered, after this I changed to Wasted COP and it ran immediately. Thank you for the input.

Thanks for the help everyone.

PK
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

drivesport wrote:
billr wrote:Have you: tried "wasted COP"? checked spark timing with a light? tried disabling fuel and use starting fluid?
I initially tried Wasted COP but with no luck and then I re-installed the firmware but started off with a fresh tune from scratch and the car immediately sputtered, after this I changed to Wasted COP and it ran immediately. Thank you for the input.

Thanks for the help everyone.

PK
Your cam phasing is wrong, add 360 to your #1 tooth angle and you can switch back to COP
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
drivesport
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by drivesport »

drivesport wrote: Your cam phasing is wrong, add 360 to your #1 tooth angle and you can switch back to COP
Indeed this resolved the COP issue, but why do I feel like in the past the car ran COP with a trigger offset of ~78 degrees?!?

Thank you,
PK