Noob Question Fan Control

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Bedog8
MS/Extra Newbie

Noob Question Fan Control

Post by Bedog8 »

Hello Megasquirt people,

I am new to Megasquirt and I have a few question on repurposing pins and ports for other uses.
So here goes nothing.

I am planning on using an MS3x to run my project when its ready, goal is this summer and I don't have far to go :)

What I am wanting to know is can I run a fan off of the MS3.57 injector ports? I will be using Sequential injection off of the MS3x card so the injector pins on the v3.57 card will be free. I would like to run 4 fans all independent of each other. I am planning on using the FIDLE port to run a water methanol solenoid.

PS: I did search the forums for about an hour and Google for a few days before posting this :)

Thank you all for your support.
Bedog8
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Noob Question Fan Control

Post by Bedog8 »

Don't mean to bump my own thread but thought I should clarity something.
I do not plan on running the fan directly from MS power or ground, but use MS to either supply power or ground to the switch side of a relay to turn the fan on and off.

Thanks for help
jamies
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jamies »

you can use any pin that is listed in the fan control drop down, or that is selectable on the programmable outputs dropdowns.
So unused injector outputs (and even unused spark outputs with a suitable transisitor/ Mosfet / IGBT inline) can be used to drive relays
Bedog8
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Bedog8 »

Sounds like I need to get tuner studios and do some exploring of the options.

But more questions, I am new to the all of this what type of transistor or mosfet would I need?

Thanks
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Bedog8 wrote:Sounds like I need to get tuner studios and do some exploring of the options.

But more questions, I am new to the all of this what type of transistor or mosfet would I need?

Thanks
You'll only need a transistor or mosfet to control a relay with spare MS3X spark outputs. :RTFM: and download Tuner Studio
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Bedog8
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Bedog8 »

I did download tuner studios last night and gave it a good look through. That was really helpful answered a bunch of question I did not even think to ask.
As for the spark outputs, I am hoping to leave those in reserve for coil packs later. My dizzy, coil and msd box all work just fine with few miles on them.