Trigger Wizzard and other Ignition settings questions

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MegaSlant6
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Trigger Wizzard and other Ignition settings questions

Post by MegaSlant6 »

Hello,
Tuner Studio MSv3.0.28
MS3version 1.3.4

the basic hardware for engine control is: MS3pro, Lean Burn Distributor, MSD 6A , MSD E coil

I was having a problem with the timing mark at the damper advancing when checked with a timing light even though fixed timing was selected, got a tip from Matt C to change the dwell setting to a 'fixed dwell'. That gave me a stable flash at the damper when fixed timing was selected.

I then used the timing wizzard to get the timing flash from the timing light at the damper to match my fixed timing input.
I ended up with an off set of 66 degrees. This is one of my questions.
Is 66 an acceptable number? Should I make some mechanical adjustment like re clocking the distributor to lower that?
Or does it not really make a difference?

Another question, I have the coil duty cycle set at 50%. I don't remember if that was a default value or not. Is that an acceptable value?
How do I know that 50% coil duty cycle is the correct value?
I used a non contact thermometer to monitor the temperature of the coil case, during an hour or so of run time for the tests listed below the coil was a consistent 125 to 140 F.

I also started an ran the motor wilh all combinations of: Falling Edge - Rising Edge and Going Low - Going High.
my notes are listed below

Falling Edge - Going High
Starts and runs , trigger off set at 66 degrees,

Rising Edge - Going High
Runs very poorly, backfire out exhaust, trigger angle still set at 66 degrees
I am working alone so I could not check to see where the timing light was flashing on the damper,ran so rough engine would not idle.

Rising Edge - Going Low
Starts and runs, trigger off set at 66 degrees, timing may be a bit more jumpy

Falling Edge - Going Low
Starts and runs, to get the timing light test to match up with the fixed timing input had to adjust the Trigger Wizzard to 101

this was only running the car in the garage, not track or dyno input, but the motor seems to run on either
Falling edge - Going High with the trigger at 66 or so
Falling Edge - Going low with the trigger at 101 or so

Another question: is one setting better for my hardware ignition set up than the other? I know the manual states 99% of installs will have Going High.

also I say 'or so' as when I would change from one setting to another, the exact setting for the trigger wizzard did not repeat
Falling Edge - Going High would be in the high 60's to low 70;s but not exactly the same value
Falling Edge - Going low would be in the high 90's to low 100's but not exactly the same value.
the trigger wizard setting is close, but not exact, is that just how the electronics picks up the change?

When I shut the motor off and re start, without making a setting change the trigger wizard setting does repeat.

thanks
Attachments
2018-02-16_08.52.58.msq
(237.55 KiB) Downloaded 22 times