Check my wiring homework? MicroS V3 on VW 16vT 2L w. w.spark

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

BrokeRabbit
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BrokeRabbit »

Before I start crimping and soldering I was wondering if anyone with more experience than I could take a look at the diagram and tell me where I've messed up or could improve. I know there are a few diagrams online but most of them don't include all of the connections and are a distracting mess. Also wanted to figure out my connectors and cavity counts and just walk it on paper.

CE2 is the VW central electric 2 system that will manage the fuel pump via the existing relay, grab the tach input, provide power to the O2 heater and provide 12v to a secondary fuse panel that will power MS and the remaining components. Not 100% confident that drawing 12v from Z1 on the CE2 relay/fuse panel is the way to go so if someone knows and can correct me that would be great. My understanding of VW wiring diagrams is that it only powers up once the key is put in the start position.

Image edited & updated to include Paul_VR6 commentary.
Last edited by BrokeRabbit on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Double check wiring diagram, Z1 is usually powered through the fuel pump relay, not key on.

Key on power is current track 15
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
BrokeRabbit
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Check my wiring homework? MicroS V3 on VW 16vT 2L w. w.s

Post by BrokeRabbit »

Paul_VR6 wrote:Double check wiring diagram, Z1 is usually powered through the fuel pump relay, not key on. Key on power is current track 15
I think your right and that would have only given me power for a second or two while the pump primed?
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll tap into H1/04 on CE2 (http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html), which is from the steering column ignition harness and use that as a trigger wire for a relay to supply power to MS and all the other items in the above wiring diagram.

Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Check my wiring homework? MicroS V3 on VW 16vT 2L w. w.s

Post by Paul_VR6 »

You likely would get nothing as without power the ms won’t turn the fp relay on at all.

That tap at h1/04 sounds good
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!