Which way to go

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dickyjoe
MS/Extra Newbie

Which way to go

Post by dickyjoe »

Hi All,

Many years ago I became interested in the Megasquirt project. I intended to build a Megasquirt for my Land Rover project which is/was a 1984 110 Land Rover V8 with an upgraded engine from the standard 3.5 to a 4.4 from a Leyland P76.

The intention was to use EDIS, 36-1 trigger wheel and multipoint injection using a "THOR" manifold from a Land Rover Discovery 2.

The project was shelved whilst I fell in love, sold my house with an awesome shed and moved all my projects to my parents farm in storage.

I have a partially assembled Megasquirt board version 3 with the Megasquirt 1 CPU.

Of late I have been thinking I should get this project finished and finish the Megasquirt so its ready to go. Is MS CPU 1 still the go or should I buy a MS CPU 2.

At the time MS Extra on the MS2 was not available and MS Extra on the first CPU was the only choice. Is it still advisable to use the EDIS module to control ignition?

Cheers

Richard
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Which way to go

Post by DaveEFI »

If you already have an EDIS 8 module, I'd probably stick with it. Makes for a simpler installation. Do you have the Thor coils?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
dickyjoe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dickyjoe »

Hi DaveEFI,

I have a set of new EDIS Ford Coils and leads. I don't have EDIS8 module. I also have a set of Secondhand Thor coils.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

dickyjoe wrote:Hi DaveEFI,

I have a set of new EDIS Ford Coils and leads. I don't have EDIS8 module. I also have a set of Secondhand Thor coils.
EDIS (and Thor) coils are passive units, so need high current drivers. The EDIS module supplies these - or you can use an add on high current driver module with MS2 (the V3 board has only provision for 1 high current driver as standard). Probably also with MS I. MS2 includes a stepper motor driver which I think is needed for the Thor manifold, for idle control. I'd personally buy the MS2 daughter board, as MS1 is a bit obsolescent these days. Or you might consider an MS3 as it has more options.

However, if you want to keep things simple, an MS2 with EDIS module will work very well on the RV8. That's what I'm using.
You will need a wideband O2 system though. Tuning without one is very difficult.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Without the EDIS module, you can (if you like soldering!?) add the necessary ignition drivers into the Megasquirt and control the coils directly.

For a wideband, I'd consider TechEdge as they are based in Australia.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I suppose it will also depend on how much a EDIS8 module with pigtail will cost in Oz?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
dickyjoe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dickyjoe »

Thats very true.

I have seen them second hand on ebay in the states. Is that the way to go? Or through a supplier?