ignition drivers assembly

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

makar0n
MS/Extra Newbie

ignition drivers assembly

Post by makar0n »

Hi guys,
Almost all the board is ready (MS2 rev 3.0) but I have a small problem with the finishing touch. As the first test rig will be fiesta with inline, 4 cylinder engine and waste spark. I have two BIPs and I would like to put them both on a separate heat sink. BIPs (and their resistors) are connected like on page 77 of mega manual (R26 and R29). And now question for a million bucks ( or a quarter), should I make any links on the board itself?

Regards
Lukas.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: ignition drivers assembly

Post by billr »

Nobody else biting on this one? I can at least advise to not use the MegaManual, it has not been kept current. Use the manuals linked to at the top of this page. Post a reference from the current manual and I will take a peek, try to help.
makar0n
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by makar0n »

MegaManual .... too slow thinking, too fast writing. I was thinking about manual from address http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.pdf. Everything else should to be correct (I hope). Page 76 is about a single BIP driver mounted directly on the board (single coil driver) and page 77 is showing connections of multiple BIPs to points R26, R29, etc, and routing ground and separate spark channels wires through a separate socket (an extra DB15 is used for example in the manual).

ps. MegaManual and http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.pdf seems pretty similar in the main construction part. The differences are in parts with mods(?).

I flash my MS2 with MSextra 3.4.2 firmware (TunerStudio Lite 3.0.14) and for now communication (com), clock, voltage reading and thermo sensors readings look ok. When I finish the ignition module and hookup everything to an engine I will check everything else.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I think the only "links" needed on the mainboard are those connections to R26 and R29.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

billr wrote:I think the only "links" needed on the mainboard are those connections to R26 and R29.

Correct.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Thanks for the confirmation. I always worry when I give advice, I have no illusions that I never make mistakes! I only got into this thread because I didn't want the OP to feel ignored, so gave it "my best shot".
makar0n
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by makar0n »

Thank you for the answer. I shouldn't read instructions at night after work. Next day morning everything looks easier and more logical.