Megasquirt 3 assembly

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Smorris
MS/Extra Newbie

Megasquirt 3 assembly

Post by Smorris »

Letting everyone know before hand I am extremely new to this and have barely developed a basic understanding of what I’m doing. However I am assembling a diy kit for megasquirt 3(non mapdaddy) and I’m at the point where I need to make my jumpers according to what I want/need. And honestly I’m not exactly sure what’s the best option for me to do. Am I using engine ignition output for my coil module. Just basically wanting to know what exactly should I do and what’s the best thing to do. The engine is S52 (1999 M3 obdII)
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Megasquirt 3 assembly

Post by billr »

I'm taking a guess here: this is a BMW with 60-2 crank wheel and VR sensor? What kind of IAC, stepper or PWM? What kind of ignition coils do you want to use, single, wasted, or COP? Do you want the coil drivers inside the MS box or external?

Let's cover the easy one first. On the mainboard, jumper the "TachSelect" pad to the "VRin" pad. Also jumper the "Tsel" pad to the "VRout" pad. That jumpering is used for virtually everything except triggering from ignition points. Adjust the two potentiometers (pots) on the mainboard full CCW and you should be all ready to get sync and read rpm in TunerStudio.

More jumpering will be needed for the IAC and coil outputs, but we need to know what type IAC and coils you have.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Most E46s use a Hall effect CKP NOT VR, the IAC is 3 wire PWM and the coils are dumb (no ignitor built in). If the trigger wheel is part of the flywheel the CKP is Hall Effect if it's on the harmonic balancer the CKP is VR
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Smorris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Smorris »

So basically Ive solved everything but what exactly I want to do with the coils. Ideally I want to use the oem coils but this requires drivers since theyre not logic level. Any ideas or opinions on wiring up the coil drivers? I want to run full seq.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Toyota/Denso COPs from a V8 Tundra are logic triggered and are easily adaptable to BMW engines
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Smorris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Smorris »

So this is what ive got so far its not at all complete. But if anyone wants to give feedback feel free. There is not a lot of information on megasquirts for OBDII (m52&s52) so I hope that someone in the future can use this information.
Attachments
MS3-to-S52-ECU-PINOUT.pdf
(36.13 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Smorris
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Smorris »

Heres a slightly updated version
Attachments
MS3-to-S52-ECU-PINOUT(V1.1).pdf
(37.04 KiB) Downloaded 55 times