MSII/extra no cranking RPM in Tunerstudio

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Dooker
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MSII/extra no cranking RPM in Tunerstudio

Post by Dooker »

Hey everyone,

Ive been trolling around here for a while reading up on issues that may cause a lack of RPM signal while in Tunerstudio/Megatune and really havent found a whole lot to go with but maybe I have been searching under the wrong rocks. V3 main board, MSII/extra Serial 310

Vehicle is a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0, hall effect sensors on both crank and cam...which is just what I am having troubles with I am guessing. The crank has a 60-2 timing wheel, a single tooth on the intake camshaft and uses a wasted spark ignition. Regardless of what I input in Tunerstudio for trigger wheel or ignition settings nothing will register. I read that putting a 10K resistor in the sensor circuit will help with an erratic RPM but nothing about helping get one.

If I test my coils there is a nice strong spark from each of the 4 wires, my injectors pulse when tested...but no fuel pump prime or cranking RPM are keeping me from moving on with things.

Whatever info I can provide beyond the above please let me know so from tonight on things become less painful.

Cheers and thanks!

I will go today and try to get a composite log of cranking to post up, in the mean time if someone has an idea to toss this way please do.
2003 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0, GT3076r @ 26psi, Meth injected, forged and balanced bottom
341whp Mustang Dyno @ 18psi.
MS3+MS3x V3.0
JBperf quad driver board
MAPdaddy 4bar, OEM coils w wasted spark.
630cc injectors, full sequential
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MSII/extra no cranking RPM in Tunerstudio

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

How do you have the tach input circuit configured? Are you using the standard Hall/opto circuit? Did you build the board yourself?
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
Dooker
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Dooker »

I did not build it myself, unfortunately my steady hand is not that steady so a friend of mine wired it up based on information from vehicles schematics. I will pull the MS out of the car today and post pics of the bottom of the board where he did the tach wiring, it is different from suggested wiring in the manuals here though.

More to follow.
2003 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0, GT3076r @ 26psi, Meth injected, forged and balanced bottom
MS3+MS3x V3.0
JBperf quad driver board
Dooker
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Dooker »

Alright I wasnt able to get a composite log but here are a few photos of my megasquirt.

TACHSELECT - XG1, OPTOOUT - TSEL,

MS3+MS3x V3.0
JBperf quad driver board
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Is the crank hall sensor getting power?

Connect up a voltmeter between 12V and TACHSELECT and slowly turn the engine by hand. You should see the voltage change as each tooth passes the sensor.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Dooker
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Dooker »

Yes everything has power. When I turn the MS on the fuel pump will not prime either but when I ground the pump control wire it fires up as it should.
MS3+MS3x V3.0
JBperf quad driver board
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

You're sure the ECU is powered up and communicating? All of the other gauges, besides the tachometer, are showing reasonable values? Did you try James' test to make sure the ECU is receiving a signal from the crank sensor?
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
Dooker
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Dooker »

I havent tried that method yet cause my car is in my storage garage and its miserable outside tonight, so tomorrow it is. All the other gauges on my dashboard are reading reasonable values too, if I push warm air into the manifold with a heatgun the IAT sensor does its thing.

I will definitely give the above method a try tomorrow and try to remember a screenshot of a composite log result.

Thanks!
MS3+MS3x V3.0
JBperf quad driver board
Dooker
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Dooker »

I flashed the firmware today thinking maybe something is wrong and sure enough it worked. I double checked my settings with those from a MSQ file posted here by a member 'dvanderk' who also owns a 2.0 boosted tiburon, we were both the same +/- .3 in some cases, but ignition settings were identical.

After the reflash I cranked the engine and the logger in Tunerstudio started doing its thing right away. Adjusted the trim pots a bit but eventually ran out of battery (9v while cranking) so tomorrow I will bring down some fresh plugs and the tools required at this point. There was some backfiring going on but as the voltage dropped im not sure there would have been enough spark to keep up with my untrimmed fuel map.
MS3+MS3x V3.0
JBperf quad driver board
harvs
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by harvs »

Wow, I've just wasted quite a few hours chasing this exact same problem. Been driving me up the wall! I've had my oscilloscope on to it and everything, then I read your post and just re-flashed mine, and bingo! Worked straight away! Maybe there's some sort of bug in the firmware download.

So thanks for posting back what solved it :D
Dooker
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Dooker »

Glad that it helped someone out!
MS3+MS3x V3.0
JBperf quad driver board