rpm 2555 and dodgy wideband reading

Ask questions about DIY board assembly issues, fault finding and testing. (Covers all Megasquirt versions and board.)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

pedrnnz
MS/Extra Newbie

rpm 2555 and dodgy wideband reading

Post by pedrnnz »

Hi

i have built a MS2 extra V3.0 board, hall sensor 5 v, wideband innovate system, running 3.2.1 code, tunerstudio v1.006, and have a couple of issues
i tried to set it up on the bench using a megastim, but was informed i needed the jimstim, which i have now got and built and tested,
testing the jimstim with a scope the RPM stays smooth right over the range as does the O2 output and rest of the outputs

now plug it into the ecu, all fires up and shows everything working, i increase the rpm and all is smooth until i hit 2555 rpm, then the rpm reading fluctuates wildly, showing a range of 2800 to 0 rpm, as i increase the rpm the rev counter reads zero and it stops fluctuating, meanwhile the ASE , Not ready, cranking and "not synced" all light up or flash like crazy.

the O2 readings are erratic as well, as i increase from 0v thru to 5 v (checked with meter) the readings goes from 12.2 to 16.8 and occasionally jumps around in the middle,

i have sat down with the msextra build manual and gone thru all the steps checking and rechecking what was installed and what should be left out and removed a couple of resistors that were not required but made no differnce so now currently stumped,

anyone got any bright ideas?

regards

Peter
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: rpm 2555 and dodgy wideband reading

Post by Matt Cramer »

Need to fix the RPM glitch; it's probably driving the missfires. Are you using a VR sensor or Hall effect?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
pedrnnz
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pedrnnz »

Matt Cramer wrote:Need to fix the RPM glitch; it's probably driving the missfires. Are you using a VR sensor or Hall effect?

i am running the hall sensor setup, with a 5v pull up in the jim stim, once i put a pull up on the jimstim i got it to read 4300 approx but then leaps around wildly and then returns to zero. signal is still there though.

as for the O2 i figured out that issue :oops: eventually read in the manual there is the ego in basic setup up, and then the AFR setup page in another menu, in which you set what type of wideband, took a few hrs of reading but got there.

cheers

Peter
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Sorry, I missed that this wasn't on the car. A general rule is that if you can get an RPM range, even if it's not the full rev range, on the JimStim, it's ready to put on the car. There are noise filters that need to be adjusted for your car, so there's no real need to get them dialed in on the JimStim because the settings you work out on the JimStim probably won't be what you need on the car.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
pedrnnz
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pedrnnz »

Matt Cramer wrote:Sorry, I missed that this wasn't on the car. A general rule is that if you can get an RPM range, even if it's not the full rev range, on the JimStim, it's ready to put on the car. There are noise filters that need to be adjusted for your car, so there's no real need to get them dialed in on the JimStim because the settings you work out on the JimStim probably won't be what you need on the car.

Ok will fit it up this weekend and see what happens :)

Cheers

Peter
spazpilot
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by spazpilot »

Did this work out for you in the end?

I'm currently at step 55 in my build and am performing testing. My main concern is weather to troubleshoot the RPM or move on with the build.
-MS II, V3.0, Firmware: 3.4.2
-TunerStudio: 3.0.18
-MegaStim: 2.2
-Set up For Hall, No VR hardware installed on board.
-Jumper D1, and D2

My RPM is Dodgy above 68...

All others MegaStim Pots seem to work.